When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hello. New to the site, New to the hobby. So glad to have found it.

kellyd

Hey. This place is amazing!!! I had no idea there was such a wealth of information out there. I arrived a few days looking for some info on upgrading my very poorly faux-aged red letter sub. Bought it from a really nice guy from CO in '05. Can't remember his name. In any event I beat the hell out of it trying to make it look vintage but it just looks like a beat up new sub copy. Ultimately I'd like to replace the crystal, which I scratched the hell out of and thought it might be cool to pick up an authentic vintage dial and hands, maybe bezel insert. The movement has held up and still works well after 5 years. Sounds like fitting the authentic dial and hands will be tricky and will probably mean I have to damage the dial. Am I right? Who could do this kind of work for me? I would botch it for sure. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. On to a 3717 once that is complete!

Great! WELCOME you definitely made a good choice in joining the commune! Notice how i said commune? haha. This is dfeinitely the best forum out there PERIOD for wealth of information about all watches.. gen and replica! For that I commend you good sir! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Frst thing you have to determine is what version sub you have. If it's a sub that was offered buy one of the factories that our dealers use, you hae possibilities (photos would be nice). Since the sub is the most commonly replicated watch sometimes it can be a mess trying to find parts for it that fit. All replicas are NOT created equal. If your sub is not compatible for any of the mods.. then you can pretty much forget about a bezel insert and authentic vitnage hands might mean changing out your movement for a gen ETA movement so that the hands will fit onto the handstack. Post some pics of your sub up and let the experts determine if a project like that would be possible for you. If it is possible, then GO FOR IT! If you need any help with anything don't ever hesitate to holler back young'n! :victory:

Sounds like the renowned "Ubiquitous" from CO. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

you can get a replacement pexi from Nostalgia-2000 or a Gen tropics from the bay also.

if your meaning a genuine dial for the 1680 or 1665 .. you need a lot of cash.. if you mean one that is close to the gen then your talking about 400usd..

If you've never disassembled the hands and dials on any watch, then you are correct in assuming you are in over your head.. just being realistic, not negative btw.

RWG has only 2 endorsed watch smiths..fyi..

the sky is the limit with gen parts but the 1680 and 1665 is very, very expensive, if you can even find one for sale.. lot's of fakes on the net and not even good replications.. so be careful.. go slow and take caution..

but besides all that

Welcome to RWG :good:

You may find this thread moved to the intro section btw.. maybe not :)

AC/Lani

Thanks a ton for the swift replies. WIll most definitely post some pics once I have some day light! Lanikai you mention RWG has 2 endorsed watchsmiths. Are you referring to Vac & Zig? Getting to know some of the names. My apologies if I put this post in the wrong place too. I should admit I'm not only new to reps but this is the first forum I've ever joined. Mainly because most tend to get mired down in negativity. This place is truly an exception. What a great bunch of dudes.

No need to apologize, we are about support and guidance here

this community is much more than just watches.

All the members here will help in your journey through the reo world with info on the genuinee models also

so ask as much q's as you want.....we all started at the begginig, because there is no end

it's the journey not the destination

Thanks a ton for the swift replies. WIll most definitely post some pics once I have some day light! Lanikai you mention RWG has 2 endorsed watchsmiths. Are you referring to Vac & Zig? Getting to know some of the names. My apologies if I put this post in the wrong place too. I should admit I'm not only new to reps but this is the first forum I've ever joined. Mainly because most tend to get mired down in negativity. This place is truly an exception. What a great bunch of dudes.

And yes.. Lani was referring to Zigmeister and Vacuum ;) You pick up pretty quickly! at your comment about us being great dudes.. THANKS! Lani is the most famous "great dude" around these parts... we all aspire to him in some way...... in some ways not... haha(i mean honestly... the dude has got like every replication imaginable.. at least.. the good ones anyways :) )

Welcome to RWG KellyD - the place where you get brilliant friendly advice from the start :thumbsupsmileyanim: Looking forward to the progress of your red sub.......Sorry im a little inexperienced to give any advice at present :bangin: But as you can see there are guys who know their stuff here.....

Enjoy your stay.

Welcome to RWG....These guys are very knowledgeable and you can learn a lot by reading their reviews. Just plan on spending some time reading and I promise it will pay off for you.....

Welcome indeed :) Rather than replacing the crystal, have you tried using a 4-surface nail buffer to 'clean it up'? How much you polish depends on how vintage you want it to look :good: You can also use toothpaste as a rubbing compound if you want to get it really smooth :)