When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A Review of the Movement of IWC Regulateur Reps

The IWC Regulateur is a watch of the Portuguese family, with a very classic aesthetic. Here a picture of the family:

21905.jpg

There is a black model as well:

negrol.jpg

In this post we review the modification made on the Asian 6497 movement to be a regulateur, and it is shown how to get a model that has not been replicated yet.

This is the model that has not been replicated yet:

platino.jpg

It is the platinum model, that it is terribly expensive (the gen). The idea is to obtain that model, using these two reps:

parejagb.jpg

Installing the silver hands of the black model on the white model a platinum rep will be ready. The process is very simple, but offers us the chance of reviewing the modification on the movement.

Hands are removed:

img4057.jpg

img4058o.jpg

The dial is removed and it is possible to see the three outputs of the movement, which is covered by a plate.

img4063.jpg

The oiler is pointing out the hour output.

If the plate is removed:

sentido.jpg

The removed plate has a gear in his down face, gear A, which takes the output form the minutes and forwards the movement to gear B, hour output, as red arrows show.

The gears A and B have no jewels and it is rotating over the plate

Thanks for that Francisco, at lest i made my regulator mod a bit better then theirs then, I was toying with the idea of stetting 3 cap jewels into the area under the transfer gear and the new hour wheel to get rid of a bit of friction, good idea?? would be a 23 jewel movement then as well :thumbsupsmileyanim:

BTW when you look at mine remember i did it with nothing more than proxon drill press as tooling

Thanks for the write up! I was thinking of doing the exact same thing! Would it be possible to install a new B Gear with a jewel below it in the mid plate?

that is what i am thinking

I was toying with the idea of stetting 3 cap jewels into the area under the transfer gear and the new hour wheel to get rid of a bit of friction,

that is what i am thinking

Andy, I enjoyed a lot reading your modification.

Guys, I am not saying that the movement is not very unreliable, what I am saying is that I think it will not last years.... sure. And, of course, it could have be done much better.

But this is not the case of Daytonas and Postuguese. The running seconds in these model are the problem. Here, is only hour... very less problematic.

The watch is cheap....front is almost perfect...back is crap... you choose...

Regards,

Francisco

Am i right that the plates from the better FA Jones could be transplanted on to this one, or did you notice and dowels or pins in the wrong place?

Also how much free play is there in the gears ie is there any lag in the hour wheel keeping up with the min wheel.

Am i right that the plates from the better FA Jones could be transplanted on to this one, or did you notice and dowels or pins in the wrong place?

Also how much free play is there in the gears ie is there any lag in the hour wheel keeping up with the min wheel.

about FA jones... no idea.

there is a bit free play... but no lag....