When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Porto Chrono - again...

Joeblack

Hello,

no need to spend too much time on the reasons... :-) But having read all the horror stories on this forum as well as the possible workarounds (DLC, franken, ...) with various degree of success and cost, I was more and more ready to give up. But then I found the following @ watchc.com - basically 3 porto chrono models, but each with a different movement:

1) IWC - IW10036 Portuguese Chrono Auto SS Black Asia 7750 28800bph - I assume this model with the troubled small sec hand @ 6

2) IWC - IWPG10004 Portuguese Chrono SS/LE Black A-7750 New Improved - it says new improved 29J version

3) IWC - IWPG10104 Portuguese Chrono SS/LE Black Swiss 7750 - with Swiss 7750 Valjoux Working Chronograph movement, 25J, 28800bph, Insignia Rotor but at almost tripple price

Is there basically any difference between the first and second one? Or in other words, does the second one suffer from the small sec hand issue too?

Anyone having a personal experience with the third one - the one with the original 7750 movement?

Thank you in advance for all your replies!

JB

It's a bit tricky to find...but this is the movement review for the Daytona. The Porto is the same movement without the 3 and 9-o-clock registers.

Francisco's Daytona 29j Movement Review

The Swiss version will be the same mod performed on a Swiss movement. Is it better?? I read a note here somewhere, that because things are made better, the Swiss movement will experience the strain of the seconds at 6 movement better than the Asian...but it's still not a good mod.

The only real solution is to consider the watch disposable...do the graphite coating again and again as required (hard if you are not comfortable working on watches or don't have somebody who can do it for you), DLC coating...or better...get the Concepta mod with the gen movement.

Expensive? Yes.