When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Re-installing hands on ETA chrono stems

Dudemeister

I'm looking for some techniques on re-installing the hands back on the the chrono stems of an A7750.

What the easiest way of doing this, yet the most reliable. I've done a few times before, but it's a major pain, and on occasion I screwed up too.

One time I was installing the hand on the minute totalizer, and in an attempt to make sure the hand is well pressed in I pushed too hard and broke the stem. Luckily I had a spare parts movement that donated the entire minute wheel. Last time, I did not use as much pressure, but the minute hand started to loosen up on the stem during the chrono resets, and eventually came off.

I don't have any special tools for placing the hands on the stem. I use a pair of tweezers with a bit of masking tape on the tip. I simply lift the hand with the tape, center it on the stem (the hard part), then press it down using a small teflon tube tip.

The problem is I'm afraid to press down on it to lock it down.

How do you guys do this and still make sure the hands don't come loose during actual use? DO you use any glue or Loctite? I did use a bit of locktite, but it didn't seem to make any difference.

Thanks for the help

I have never used locktite, but have used the tape you do in the same fashion. I have a tool I use for setting hands on, and if they come off I just assume I didn't put them on correctly in the first place. I have really not had too many hands come off after I've worked on my watches before though- I guess I've been lucky!

epoxy works better...

or this approach:

I would imagine that epoxy would work really well, as it gives you some adjustment time, unlike CA glue for examle. However, what do you do when you need to take it off again? Is it pretty permanent, do risk pulling out or breaking the stem?

On the same subject, disaster struck last night as I was working on my Ebel 1911 Discovery.

I had just picked up the small chrono hand (Hour totalizer @ 6) with my tweezers, when it sprung out somehow. While I know it's somewhere in my room, I can't find it anywhere, and I spent easily 3 hours looking for it. :wounded1:

Does anyone have one, it doesn't matter if it's white or black, or unpainted. I'm willing to pay for it, or trade for something.

Please, please please......

I would imagine that epoxy would work really well, as it gives you some adjustment time, unlike CA glue for examle. However, what do you do when you need to take it off again? Is it pretty permanent, do risk pulling out or breaking the stem?

On the same subject, disaster struck last night as I was working on my Ebel 1911 Discovery.

I had just picked up the small chrono hand (Hour totalizer @ 6) with my tweezers, when it sprung out somehow. While I know it's somewhere in my room, I can't find it anywhere, and I spent easily 3 hours looking for it. :wounded1:

Does anyone have one, it doesn't matter if it's white or black, or unpainted. I'm willing to pay for it, or trade for something.

Please, please please......

Sorry for your loss. Don't count on finding it till some random day far away from now... haha. Did everything happen in slow motion as the hand slipped out of grasp..... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

haha.. all jokes aside, i hope you find the hand or a replacement! it happens to us all! I lost a pam cg screw the exact same way.. and had to wait 3 weeks for replacements to arrive from china! :bangin:

Sorry for your loss. Don't count on finding it till some random day far away from now... haha. Did everything happen in slow motion as the hand slipped out of grasp..... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I don't kow if it was one of those slo-mo moments, but more like a "F*CK", follwed by total dejection, cause I knew it was gone. That happened around midnight last night, and then I spent the next 3 hours looking for it, to no avail.

I know what you mean though about finding it later when I'm no longer looking for it. It's always like that isn't it?

I was also looking at some of my other watches, and the running seconds @ 9 hand from the Tag Link Chrono would work just fine. It's the same length and nearly identical wedge shape.

I just hope someone here has one for sale or trade.

!!!!!! I FOUND IT !!!!!!

Holy crap, I can't believe my luck, I found the damn chrono hand. I feel so much better now, I think this calls for a big drink, a double shot of something...

... I think that since it's a black and white watch, I think I'll have a "White Russian" !

Just finished putting it back together, so here it is. The only problem I currently have is the screws on top look a bit ragged.. Other than that I'm happy with it.

BTW. The only complaint I had about this watch was the lack of lume on the dial, only the hands have lume. So I decided to apply some lume to the 12, 3, 6 and 9 markers on the rehaut ring. Here are a few pics of the final job.

Ebel%201.jpg

Ebel%202.jpg

Ebel%204.jpg