When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken Mark XV

exeekias

Hi all,

I bought a Mark XV from Hont just before CNY in order to do some mods on it.

I could only get the Spitfire version from Hont so there isn't really a direct comparison before & after.

The rep came without AR and with what is probably a clone 2824 movement. I hope the crystal is sapphire but who knows. It also came with a cheapo plastic movement holder which is unfortunate but there's not much i can do unless I find one in the right size to fit the case. Overall the rep is of decent quality, the caseback is incorrect as with all of them, and I am positive the case is about 1.5 mm too thick as well when compared to the gen.

I added a gen dial of the non Spitfire type, replaced the hands with Bill Yao hour and minute hands which are just about the proper length, size and shape, and painted the second hand white as the Bill Yao hand had more of a teardrop shape on the end than the gen.

I also replaced the date wheel with one from a 2892. I know there are better franken Mark XVs out there (saw one on this forum last year for ex.) but I'm pretty happy with my results. I'd be interested in hearing what you IWC lovers think.

overall specs:

rep case 39mm

rep steel bracelet

sapphire? crystal

eta? 2824 movement

gen Mark XV dial

Bill Yao hands

rep second hand repainted white to match gen

eta 2892 date wheel installed

Here are the results.

"before" pic taken by hont, before he replaced the band with SS:

DSC08618.jpg

and "after":

DSCF1016.jpg

DSCF1017.jpg

DSCF1020.jpg

Family photo with my v3 3717, which has no mods other than taka's crystal installed.

DSCF1021.jpg

Lume! 1/2 sec exposure as you can see:

DSCF1023.jpg

Wristie:

DSCF1027.jpg

The caseback is of course incorrect but not much I can do about that, unless I can find a sticker or something to cover the "UTC". If anyone knows where I can find a sticker please let me know.

DSCF1031.jpg

future plans:

I may end up getting AR coating done on it to match my 3717. As of now it doesn't look too bad, if you think of it as a rep of the older model without AR. I'm also thinking of getting a leather strap for it so if anyone has suggestions for a good one I'm all ears.

P.S. Cross-posting this from RWI as there are some people here who don't go there. Hope you don't mind. :)