When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Quality of the "Ingy" with Swiss ETA 2824-2

danander11

Noob here.. (at 50 I really hate that word).

I'm looking to get my first rep watch. I always thought it would be a Brietling, (I tried on a gen a few years ago), but I am really taken with the Ingenuier in SS.

Being new, I'm making the assumption that the Swiss ETA 2824-2 is prefferable to the Asian version.., yes? Are these good quality replicas? What should I watch for/ask about?

Many thanks for leading me through this first one..

The Inge is a great watch; nice and solid, though a bit chunky. Overall quality is great; Swiss ETA 2824 or 2836 are my personal preference, though some people don't mind the Asian clones.

As with any rep, there are a couple of small flaws and some things to look for. The first 'flaw' is of course the datewheel font. The rep comes with rounded numbers for the date, whereas the gen has a squared font.

Standard rep datewheel:

IMG_7766.jpg

Corrected datewheel with a 'lello' overlay:

IMG_7250.jpg

IMG_8615.jpg

Aside from that, you should be aware that the clasp has a bit of a weak spot where the clasp blade is joined at the link (it is prone to breaking).

There are a couple of other items to watch for, though I didn't group them with the above as these details tend to be inconsistent; i.e. some watches have these problems and some don't.

1) Crooked 12:00 or 6:00 marker

2) outer chapter ring not aligning 100% with the hour markers

Aside from that, it's a great watch, and nitpicking aside, very close to gen as-is 'out of the box'.

One of our forum members (fxrandy) did a comparison of rep to gen (he has both). That will give you a good idea as to how good this rep is!

(EDIT: Looks like Andy beat me to it!) :)

Hope this helps, and welcome to the forum...

//ubi

What ubi said... And I still think this is one of the great reps in the history of reps from an out-of-the-box accuracy standpoint. And actually, early pre-production pictures from IWC showed the same rounded date font that ended up on the reps - starting with the first "made from genuine sample" EL version. So, there is a slight possibility that early versions of this watch from IWC also had the rounded font.... but the Lello wheel does certainly remove any lingering doubt about accuracy. :)

Well, to update, I've pulled the trigger on one from a fellow on RG.. Here's the description:

Specs:

- Verified swiss ETA 2824-2, serviced last month by Domenico

- Old version dial (with much better texture than the ones currently sold)

- Lello datewheel

- k2222 double AR (exactly the same color as gen)

- oiled bracelet

I figure that with the DW & service being already done I should be OK for awhile. The other two things that Ubi pointed out look OK as well. I'm new to all of this so I guess I'm taking a risk but you gotta start somewhere.. I'll take some pics and post when I get it.

Thanks again everyone! Breitling coming up! :D

+1 ..... and some pictures please. :)

Will do... (I'll have to read through the photography section now... LOL)

It's coming from the opposite end of the earth so it will take a few days to get here, but I'm already anxious to wear it... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I'll update then...

(is it here yet?............is it here yet?..............is it here yet?.....................is it here yet?...................is it here yet?)

Will do... (I'll have to read through the photography section now... LOL)

It's coming from the opposite end of the earth so it will take a few days to get here, but I'm already anxious to wear it... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I'll update then...

(is it here yet?............is it here yet?..............is it here yet?.....................is it here yet?...................is it here yet?)

LOL, looking forward to see those pictures... you will be an happy owner for sure...

just a question for the crowd out there, does anyone know when can we expect an ingy 7 day?

Edited by Hugo Alves

• 2 weeks later...

Welp, it's here! and it's a beaut! The bracelet is too short and needs 1-1.5 links added for my comfort.

My impressions.. Solid! and beautiful Seems to keep time spot-on. I have only two issues with this watch that I'll have rectified.. 1. A spot on the dial between 6 and 7 (you can make it out in the pics), and the datewheel is just a tad off center.. Small things that you would have to look for granted, but I'll have them corrected all the same.. This watch will end up being my favorite.. Aside from being too tight, it fits well.. weight, size, etc...

Thanks to everyone for the help with this.. It's a great start!

post-27663-126864419532_thumb.jpg

post-27663-126864422003_thumb.jpg

I am glad you like it

The problem with the date wheel looks like the one i originaly had, it is not he date wheel but the movement holder that the dial fits to and which aligns with the crown tube, as you tighten the back of the watch it twists slightly moving the dial with it, I had to glue a small bit of metal in the holder so that it could not twist.

I am glad you like it

The problem with the date wheel looks like the one i originaly had, it is not he date wheel but the movement holder that the dial fits to and which aligns with the crown tube, as you tighten the back of the watch it twists slightly moving the dial with it, I had to glue a small bit of metal in the holder so that it could not twist.

Thanks Fxr, once again! I'll order a toolkit from Watchbitz and then drop you a note on how to do this if that's alright. I'll probably let someone else do the dial though.. I'll try to get a few 'beater' reps to practice on before I tear into anything of value.. ;)

I'll be glad to find a few links too so that I can just wear it confortably.. LOL

Peace!

Looks good - that datewheel should be an easy enough fix. I'm sure you could buy a bracelet off one of the dealers if you need more links.

Ubi - are there any fixes for the bracelet's weak clasp, or is it a write-off when it breaks? Its a great bracelet otherwise, apart from some sharp edges.

Edited by permabull