When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How fake is this?

DickBrowne

Although I do not own a gen vin 300, in all my research on the gen 300, the white date wheel is not uncommon. I have seen quite a few in a lot of gen's.

Black is preferred of course, but white is normal on quite a few of these models.

As Ubi points out, I agree that this particular watch looks like it is a rebuilt Watchco type product. For the most part these watches consist of a bunch of gen parts refitted to an original case or movement.

The best of the vintage 300's are those that are all original of course, a watch that is truly aged from wear, in dial, case, bracelet, etc.

I have ordered the latest rep 300, and plan a bit of modding, but for the most part it will consist of a vintagizing (?) of the lume on the indices.

The biggest tell of all for the most part IMO on a decent rep compared to gen.

That being said, I have seen a fair number of these rebuilt 300's utilizing gen Omega parts that are readily available through common Omega sources.

Franken watches for the most part, blurring the concept between a true genuine watch and a 'fake'.

Nevertheless, the watch in question here has to be considered genuine as far as I can tell.

FWIW, if you ask the seller for model/serial /case numbers, you can submit them to the Omega site for verification.

They will tell you if they all add up, and exactly its provenance.

The supposed link to the Israel AF may be a giveaway.

That may remove some of the mystery of what it actually is.

But don't trust the Israelis to not have Frankens or copies, they copied some Aussie Passports recently to kill a guy, which wasn't very nice between friends whistling.gif

O/S

It's a put together. Not Watchco but still is. There is also a group out of Israel that put these together using New replacement Omega parts. As Ubi has stated, vintage movement but everything else is new. The newer cases Omega makes have a new case reference # which shows it as a replacement case and is listed in the Omega Databases as a legit reference...IIRC it is: ST 166.0324.

So, by Omega standards, it is an authentic Omega but isn't assembled by Omega.

I owned a date SM300 that was white but it was a Big Triangle dial. Only other one I ever saw was a few years ago on MWR and it was also a Big Triangle date. Never seen a small triangle date with a white date wheel.

Screwdown crowns were added to the very last runs of the SM300 when it was shown that while the original non-screwdown crown was effective at keeping water out at depth, it failed when swimming at the surface.