When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bidding on a Vibrograf B200 on the 'Bay

redwatch

Its all you Red!

But can I ask why these seem to be more desirable than the new-fangled digital ones? Like the TYMC MTG's? Every WS I know has a Vibrograph even if they have a newer MTG. To me it reminds me of an old school "adding machine" vs a "Calculator/Computer".

Curious.

Its all you Red!

But can I ask why these seem to be more desirable than the new-fangled digital ones? Like the TYMC MTG's? Every WS I know has a Vibrograph even if they have a newer MTG. To me it reminds me of an old school "adding machine" vs a "Calculator/Computer".

Curious.

Why buy a mechanical watch when the newfangled quartz ones are more accurate?

I'm just sayin'

Well for me it's all about bullet proof analog technology. They just don't build 'em like they used to! I'm very technical and with the right manual and some basic trouble shooting, if this thing ever craps out on me, I am sure I could fix it. The new ones, with their Programable Logic chips and surface mount bits, they are a pain in the a$$ to work on and if they die, that's pretty much it, their dead. Plus, it's nice to see a print out of what you are doing.

Also, the sound.....you just can't beat the sound! I found a video on youtube of one running and it's classic! I love it!

Thanks for the suggestions folks! I'll keep an eye on this one.

• 4 weeks later...

Actually I tried playing around with this over the weekend. The concept is sound. I even got the radio shack piezo element. But when I plugged it in, mine wouldn't pick up the watch beat. I may have bent it too much while removing from the case. I may buy another and try it again. Can't go wrong with $2.25 in parts and free software...

http://www.flynwill.com/Watches/CheapTiming/

I've been thinking about a microset. Anybody have any experience with those? $300 seems tough to beat.

Actually I'm quite keen on that Microset too! I know that Avitt has one and reported good things about it. He said you definitely want the clamping sensor with it though, which pushed the price to $450.00

Actually I'm quite keen on that Microset too! I know that Avitt has one and reported good things about it. He said you definitely want the clamping sensor with it though, which pushed the price to $450.00

I don't see a problem with devising my own clamp or using a rubber band to save $150. I just might spring for it.

Guest avitt

I don't see a problem with devising my own clamp or using a rubber band to save $150. I just might spring for it.

I thought the same thing, so I asked Bryan Mumford (creator of the Microset), who explained that the clamping sensor actually has active amplification circuitry, while the cheaper sensor does not.

If you just plan to time large movements like the 6497, then you can probably get away with a piezo mic. If you ever hope to time smaller movements, then I highly recommend the clamping sensor.

Thanks for the additional info. Well that certainly justifies the extra $150. Can you get the standard $300 setup and add the clamping sensor later?

I have my piezo mic working, and I went a step further by adding a pre-amp. It works great, can pick up the tiniest of sounds. I now have a useful watch timer.

Guest avitt

Yup, you can go for the least expensive setup, and add the clamping sensor as as accessory later.

If you have a working mic setup, it wouldn't hurt to try that first...Maybe it'll be all you need!