When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rootbeer GMT

mastergod

This is probably the best there is. "Retro" Root Beer GMT.

That one has many flaws, like crystal profile and lack of rehaut thickness. It also uses full gold Submariner clasp. If I'm not mistaken all root beer GMTs came with the old type of clasp without fliplock. And of course they all used non-SELs, so that rep bracelet is inaccurate too.

But I guess it's "wearable" if you're not looking for a super-rep.

I'm a 1675 & 16710 enthusiast but actually I don't know much about this particular model. I don't even know when they stopped producing it. The root beer model isn't that desirable among the collectors... they seem to sell cheaper than the steel versions.

Thanks By-Tor.

BTW - ND Trading´s glow-in-the-dark bakelite bezel - I love it and am looking for a historically correct rep case (with lug-holes, without cg etc) to house it...and a red/black DW for 2836-2..amd old GMT hand...

Sure do hope you can answer this! Sorry for asking so much and never helping people with similar problems, but that goes with the territory when one doesn´t know enough...

Thanks,

MG

EDIT: Or should one simply buy the ND trading version at approx USD 4000 and get it over with? Seems kinda pricy, but I don´t know the cost of getting the right parts and making one from scratch...might be just as costly?

Edited by mastergod

No... there isn't an accurate replica of the Root Beer GMT... there has never been.

Gens should be around $3400 or so... I've seen them selling for that. Like I said they're much cheaper than their steel counterparts. This is not very popular model.

Keep on checking TZ and WUS sales forums... I'm sure one pops up eventually.

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=threadt&frm_id=32

http://forums.watchuseek.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29

Not a model often discussed, but it does have a unique charm :) I know Clint Eastwood wore one in Firefox (novel was wayyyy better than the movie, as is usually the case...) The thing which I've always noted about the rootbeer variant, is the size of the lume, in comparison to the size of the markers, that's always struck me as unusual, but of course, it just adds to the character of the watch :)

Damn... thanks for the correction chefcook. I thought they ceased the Root Beer years before the 16710.

Actually I should have known... the gen GMT booklet has that model pictures (along with Coke and Pepsi versions).

I just put on Firefox to check, and Eastwood is wearing the variant with the Jubilee bracelet. It also looks like there is either a significant crack in the crystal, or it's catching a reflection from the room... It's interesting how with this watch, the GMT hand is completely un-painted :) I can see why it's not everyone's cup of tea (I doubt I would wear one myself) but it's certainly interesting from an observational point of view to how it differs in comparison to say the Pepsi variant :)

• 2 years later...