When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Redwatch's Watchmakers Bench

redwatch

First of all, thanks to you guys and this fantastic community! :thumbsupsmileyanim: With all your input and suggestions, I was able to design, and have built, a great table top watchmakers bench. Here's some pics of the completed project:

DSC_0985.jpg

DSC_0984.jpg

The wrist rests work perfectly (after I hacked them apart with a saw to mount them!). They are super comfortable and are positioned perfectly! They come off and stow away nicely in the drawer below. I am still waiting for the brass hardware to come and then it will be complete.

You can read about the original design here

Gee thats looking nice red!

Maybe could do with some different lighting ( and I have just the thing in mind for it- will talk to you about that in a week or two!)

I have just built a new desk, and increased the height to 1m. Have found that my preferred magnification, the cantilever arm light, is no use with the new bench height, as you must work from above, and I am now at bench level.

So I am playing with a new LED magnifier, which comes on a super flexible arm, and actually viewing through the mag with the light mounted at 90deg to normal. Its seems to be the answer.

Obviously if you prefer a visor or a loupe, this isn't such a problem.

Will post some photos of my new set up when I come back from the shop later.

O/S

Thanks O/S! The lighting is actually much brighter than it looks in the pics. I have a Dazor florescent lamp and then the two side fill lamps. It's nice and bright!! I'd love to see your new light though. That might help instead of the side fill lamps. They are bright, but a little obnoxious!

Looks good. Quarter sawn oak? What'd you use for a finish on it? Oh and did you route the front channel by hand with an edge guide?

Well done.

Thanks Cheiftang! Yes, it is Quarter Sawn Red Oak with the natural minwax stain and a few coats of clear coat (sanded between coatings). I didn't build it. I have a good friend with a machine/wood shop and his tools are way better than mine. He did do the front channel with an edge guide.

Thanks all for the comments! I really love it. It has far exceeded my expectations and the height is just perfect. Far more comfortable now!

@Red,

I said earlier that I was using/testing, a new LED magnifying light.

Here is a shot of how I have initially set it up to cater for the higher desk.

DSC01670.jpg

As said the flexi arm just gives so much more versatility...the cantilever styles are an ongoing fight, but this thing is easily and precisely positioned.

For those interested, I have set this up in a new shop I have built at our local markets.

I was getting a bit long in the tooth to be loading/unloading heaps of stuff each week, and have desired a lockup shop for a while, So I leased some dirt, and $4k later and much blood sweat and tears, bingo, I had my shop!

DSC01671.jpg

Still in the process of setup, lights, signwriting and some stock still to come, but hopefully this will be my happy watch home 2 days a week.

Now where can I fit a computer so I can log in to RWG in the quiet times? rolleyes.gif

Offshore

Very very nice O/S! You could always sneak a laptop in under the work bench. Looks like you have a little slide out tray there?

Yes S, Good call. The old keyboard slot.

I use that spot for my battery tester, demag and pulse meter on my "old" desk (Home)

However as you can see from the pics, the shop is a work in progress, so I will throw out all the old evolved stuff, and start thinking again, as I get this desk operational.

I have an Asus netbook, which could go to work.....now how do I find an internet connection?rolleyes.gif (Preferably someone elses :) )

O/S

With it on top of my desk, it sits at 36.75" or 93.345 cm. It's only 7cm shy of a meter, but I'd say it would make a difference. With the arm rests, it is super comfortable and I don't feel any strain on my back. And I can keep my chair at a good working height as well. It definitely helps to have a good chair and I am fortunate enough to have a nice Herman Miller Aeron Chair. Nice mesh seat so my butt doesn't get too sweaty :D

AeronchairTwo.jpg