When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

MBW 1680 Crystal Ring

mjmj

Hi, I managed to source a gen flat top crystal for my MBW 1680 and so after reading the how- tos on this great forum, I attempted to change the crystal myself. I removed the existing crystal and replaced it with the gen and wow! it has made an immediate difference particularly the date magnification. I proceeded to get the correct alignment followed by putting the crystal ring back on. I realised that this is where the crystal press comes in handy but none of my dies (I dont know if this is the right name for the plastic circular things that fit on the press) are deep enough to accomodate the height of the flat top crystal. So i have not been able to complete the job. I am thinking of going to the hardware store and getting a steel tube in the right diameter cut down to about an inch in height and use that as an adapter with the press. Do you think this will work? And do any of the experts here have a solution or ideas please? All advice will help in my quest.

Ta

There's no reason a spacer wouldn't work as long as you keep everything square so you get the ring going on straight and even.

Personally I use a hockey puck with the right size hole cut out in the middle. Easy squeasy!

Do you have a Socket Wrench set?

Use a 12 point socket that is large enough to slip over. If you are afraid of scratching, use some plastic wrap or electrical tape on the socket. For leverage use a small block of wood, or hockey puck between your hand and the socket.

1216589682-1321_full.jpg

Great advice, Ronin! I also use a very thin layer of lube (vaseline, silicon grease, whatever) between the ring and crystal at the very base, to let it seat better and as it pushes the lube down it forces it into any gaps between the case and crystal for an even better seal.

On my MBW the ring was just too tight to fit over the Yuki crystal (which should be quite near to gen) so I shaped the innercircle of the ring a bit with sandpaper till it slip over the crystal more easily.

shaped it step by step so it doesn

If anybody needs a custom "die" for their crystal press I have Delrin in stock to fabricate up to 2" diameter dies so I can pretty much make whatever diameter/depth you may need.

Thank you so much for all your tips. I have acquired a 12 point socket, sanded the ring and applied silicon grease. All of these tips have worked and now my crystal ring is back on the watch. It looks great. I will post some photos tomorrow. Good night

Here are some photos of the new crystal on the MBW case. As you can see on the side view, there is a scratch. I had installed everything perfectly with no markings on the crystal at all and installed my bezel without insert. Then I had to remove the bezel to glue the insert on. Whilst removing the bezel, my knife slipped and hit the side of the crystal quite hard leaving a noticeable scratch on it. Oh well, it would have been perfect but I think for my first attempt, I am very happy with the result. My only qualm with this is that I thought I had cleaned the surface where the crystal sits on in the case but upon inspecting after finishing, I notice some black spots. So now, I will have to remove and clean and then install. Am I being too pedantic??

dsc07395ze.jpgdsc07398.jpg