When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How Are These CG's

omgiv

Hi Guys,

This is the case for my 5513 project. I am using the 1680 case that came from my MBW 1680. The case has been retapped, the lugs have been drilled, and I just tried my fist crown guard shaping. I know that they aren't perfect, but I was hoping for some feedback. I would like to get them better , if not for this case, then for future cases. Thanks in advance!!!!

af75c97e.jpg

f5e522c8.jpg

45d0bb2b.jpg

Square off the inside corners of the cg(Where the crown seats)

Other than that, I would also take the flat area(Where the tube is inserted)down a few more mm. When the bexel is installed, this area will be below the bezel when viewed from directly above.

Kinda like this:

critique.jpg

And then this:

critique-1.jpg

Nice work.....

Thanks for the tips. I did take the flat area where the seats down a little but wasn't sure how far down it should go. I was also wondering about the inside corners. They shouldn't be at a 90 degree angle correct? I was trying to find a picture of a case without a bezel and crown but couldn't find one. Thanks again for the help!!!

Thanks for the pictures!!! I didn't see them before I posted :)

Thanks for the tips. I did take the flat area where the seats down a little but wasn't sure how far down it should go. I was also wondering about the inside corners. They shouldn't be at a 90 degree angle correct? I was trying to find a picture of a case without a bezel and crown but couldn't find one. Thanks again for the help!!!

Thanks for the pictures!!! I didn't see them before I posted :)

Well it's not a 90, but it should be a clean, sharp transition.

Check the master's corners:

Thanks for all of the ideas and photos. I just did a little quick filing and sanding. I sanded the inside corners, reduced the flat section, and also sanded to curved areas to narrow the crown guards. Does this look better to you guys? Thanks!!!!

bac2ed60.jpg

I just use a drill bit that's just a bit larger than the hole to provide a bit of countersink. If you want to drop down with a square shouldered hole then that is considered a counterbore which I suppose would work as well depeding on the tube. Use whichever method matches up with the tube you are installing...

Thanks for the information. I haven't worked with counterbores before and didn't quite know what they were. I looked them up and they seem to be the right tool that I am looking for. I am going to wait until I have some tubes so I can measure the size counterbore I need. Thanks again!!!!

If you have a conical point edge finder you should be able to get your mill/drill spindle centered close enough over the tube hole to be able to use a standard end mill cutter to do the counterbore.