When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pam's Not As Good As Reps!

Finepics

I had the fortune to handle a gen PAM 86 yesterday belonging to a friend so was able to really have a good look a it and to my suprise the CG lever was all loose and wobbly and hardly pressed the crown against the case at all when shut - so much so I had to look really close to make sure it was a gen (of course it was as they have not repped this one yet). When we review reps and complain about the CG's we have got it all wrong!! So now I will have to rip all the Jimmy's CG's off and put the rep ones back on!!!

Just goes to show that our reps are good watches and with a little tweaking can be GREAT watches!

...and that our judgement is largely based on assumption rather than facts; I bought a gen PAM025 and I agree with Finepics that the lever is not pressing hard against the crown. I wouldn't describe the lever as loose and wobbly, but definetly not as tight as I expected it to be.

I am a little surprised by that as the CG levers are tight and have solid feel to them when closing them on both my gens. My reps CG levers suck and are extremely flimsy.

How do I get my hands on these JIMMYS CGs....

cheers

The Jimmy CG gives me every bit as good a feel when opening as a gen. Also Ziggy does something to the standard crown guards so they open and shut smoothly and firmly. The little rubber sleeve on the Jimmy makes all the difference on feel when opening though. I never took my gen CG apart but I assumed it had a rubber sleeve like the Jimmy's do. But I have always maintained that a watch is a watch. If put together and serviced properly a high end rep may not be as good as a gen in terms of finish but should be just fine in most cases. :)

I have an OEM guard on my 051, and I have had many gen PAMs on my wrist. On A-F series PAMS, aside front he fit and finish differences you'd expect to be able to see during a close inspection, the only easy "tell" is the much more aggressive brushing on OEM levers.

My review: http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...d,oem,and,guard

Any Panerai owner can immediately spot the differences between H series rep and gen guards, though, and I wish the rep makers would just bite the buller and redesign the guards on the H series reps instead of just brushing the old versions.

Wel the other one I got to handle was a PAM 140 (yellow gold with carbon fibre dial) and this was almost as bad but not as bad!! The 086 was a regular wearer for the owner so may just have worn!! I have sectional drawings showing a CG parts diagram and there certainly is some sort of sleeve around the pin so Jimmy's are certainly more close to a brand new gen (far from ripping them off I have just taken delivery of fresh ones!!!).