When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sunday + Sub Case + Dremel

lionsandtigers

Dug up an old sub case, a pretty shitty one also at that, and broke out the dremel and decieded to take my first shot at case modding. Did the cg's and the bracelet ends. It's far from perfect, not even that good in my opinion, but i just wanted to give it a shot so I can work my way to modding my mbw cases. yeah, and the pictures stink, camera's on the fritz.

anyway, let me know what you think for my first effort, i ran out of rouge thats why it hasent been fully polished.

original on top, modded on the bottom, enjoy...and let the flames burn :D

116215-22617.jpg

116215-22618.jpg

I'll add to the chorus recommending hand tools for the CG's. You can pick up a set of Swiss cut needle files at any hardware store or hobby shop, and you'll have every shape that you need for the inside and outside of the guards. Save the Dremel for the polishing (or better yet, use a full size polisher, which you can find for about the same price as a good Dremel set).

You can use the dremel sanding drum (1/4" I think) and start with 120 grit paper and work your way up to finer and finer grits as you fine tune... Or you can use files as others have mentioned.

My first result w/ a dremel was a disaster--it works great for the removal and gives a surprising degree of control...until it slips and takes off a swath of the case. :bangin: Definitely not for a guy w/ my fine motor coordination or lacj thereof. I bought 3 sets of "Craftsman" swiss cut files from the doallr store for $3, so we'll see if I fare better w/ those. A couple q's for the experts:

1) Do you guys work w/ an already modded case in front of you, a magnified pic of an oem, or both?

2) Once you get the shape right, what is the exact process for returning the steel back to it's original polish?

Finally a decent thread on CG modding!!! Thanks guys!

1) Do you guys work w/ an already modded case in front of you, a magnified pic of an oem, or both?

2) Once you get the shape right, what is the exact process for returning the steel back to it's original polish?

1) I started by collecting a 2 or 3 dozen pictures of genuine DRSD's from the internet (it's important to look at all angles). I studied these until I had a pretty good picture in my "mind's eye". I suppose it would be even more helpful to print these out, and keep them nearby and handy when you're at your bench.

2) I use, and strongly recommend, one of these:

117008-22489.jpg

This is a bench grinder, that has been converted to a polisher. I picked this one up as Harbor Freight for about $29. I removed the grinding wheels and the guards, and replaced them with hard and soft cotton wheels. You can get the wheels, and polishing compound of various grits, at your local hardware store. For about $50-$60, you'll have a tool that you'll use much more than your Dremel....And it does a much better job at polishing, because of the power, and the larger surface area.

This will smooth out those grinding marks in no time!

My first result w/ a dremel was a disaster--it works great for the removal and gives a surprising degree of control...until it slips and takes off a swath of the case. :bangin: Definitely not for a guy w/ my fine motor coordination or lacj thereof. I bought 3 sets of "Craftsman" swiss cut files from the doallr store for $3, so we'll see if I fare better w/ those. A couple q's for the experts:

Finally a decent thread on CG modding!!! Thanks guys!

I'm NOT recommending you use a dremel. I'm recommending you use the dremel sanding drum in your hand. You can buy various grits for the sanding drum and should be able to carefully fine tune the CGs.

A dremel is NOT a precision tool.

i agree with all of my counterparts here, a dremel is not the best tool for precision case modding. it was what i had, and i was bored, so i thought i would rework this case.

the dremel is just not sturdy enough, slips very easy, and ends up doing some irreverseable damage to your case, and since this was the first time doing it for me, glad on learned that on a piece of junk from canal street.

so, after doing that, i would recommend, like the others, to just do it by hand with a set of swiss cut needle files, i would rather spend a few hours modding each one of my cases to glory then destroying them in 5 seconds.

Fun ain't it! Ditto on the bench grinder. I also find a bench vise with soft jaws helpful along with REALLY GOOD lighting. Also get a good set of swiss files. I have some glardons that I've used for years. Cheap files don't work. Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of cheap tools but cheap files dull quickly on stainless.