When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMT Project Options/Opinions

redwatch

Hi folks,

So I have acquired on of Andy's 2893-2 movements and now I am contemplating which GMT watch I want to build. Definitely want to build a Rolex, but I can't decide on which model to do. I would really love a 1675 but there don't seem to be too many options out there to build a good franken of the 1675. I saw concepta's awesome franken GMT IIc that was for sale, and I really like that one, but I am afraid it might be a touch bit too dressy for day to day wear. My favorite is the 6542 with the bakelite pepsi bezel and Yuki has a really nice case set for sale. Of course, the other option would just be a standard GMT Master II with pepsi dial. I guess one great option would be to go with the BK Transformer and ship him the movement.

Just wondering if the modders out there had any thoughts or suggestions for me?

Although I was never sold on them from the photos, once I saw a coke GMT 'in the flesh', it really grew on me as a watch :) Other GMT options might be the Rootbeer GMT if you wanted a real challenge in building, or, had you considered putting the movement in an Explorer II? Personally, I'd vote for the Coke :) Never seen a Pepsi, but have got one on order, and you'd be welcome to the insert, as I probably won't be using it :)

The only GMT rep that is even remotely accurate is the BK Transformer.

But I would choose the Noob black Explorer II. Maybe it's not the most popular among the members but it's still hands down the most accurate "second timezone" Rolex model out there.

5-1.jpg

Of course, as soon as I finished typing that, BT goes and puts up an absolutely stunning photo of the Black Dial Explorer II! Dammit! :D

Hmmm....decisions desicions. Of course, the Noob Explorer is going to be a rare beast soon, isn't it?

Of course, as soon as I finished typing that, BT goes and puts up an absolutely stunning photo of the Black Dial Explorer II! Dammit! :D

Hmmm....decisions desicions. Of course, the Noob Explorer is going to be a rare beast soon, isn't it?

Yes, but the current ones have the ugly rehaut engraving anyway. Try to source the older version.

This was a great rep and it never got the attention it deserved.

7.jpg

Well that's as good of a reason as any MG! :thumbsupsmileyanim: Turns out Yuki has discontinued the availability of the 6542 cases so off to find another source I guess. I would really love a bakelite bezel GMT!!! They have such a character to them and the pics of Freddy's are amazing!

Guys, before you jump in too deep, please consider that the 2893-2 will not work for a modern Rollie project with raised dial markers, especially if you are using a case made for 2836-2.

stem position for the 2893-2 is 2.00mm

stem position for the 2836-2 is 2.25mm

Right there you loose 0.25mm in height if you want your stem centered in the tube.

Next, let's look at the hand fitting height:

H5 is the tallest height available for the 2893-2. I'm sure that all the stock movements are fitted with H4, so you will need to order replacement parts if you want to use this movement for any Rollie project.

The following lengths are from dial seat (back of dial)

Cannon Pinion: 1.70mm

Hour Wheel: 1.30mm

24H Wheel: 0.90mm

You now need to subtract 0.40mm from these lengths to account for dial thickness.

CP: 1.3mm

HW: 0.90mm

24H: 0.50mm

They seem tall enough right? But remember, your movement is going to be sitting 0.25mm further away from the dial in order to center the stem with the tube.

Now you are looking at the following heights:

CP: 1.05mm

HW: 0.65mm

24H: 0.25mm

Now factor in the height of the dial markers, say 0.40mm? Now the tolerances are too tight for hand fitting. Especially the 24H hand which will not clear the markers at all, and will only be sitting 0.25mm above the dial.

Best bet would be to stick to vintage models with no dial markers, and even then, the 24h hand is sitting quite close to the dial. I guess the other option is to not fully seat the hands on the CP, HW, and 24HW, but then you risk the chance of the hands coming loose.

But the good news is, you will have plenty of room to fit an overlay between the dial and movement!

I considered this movement a few years ago for a Rollie project, but came to the conclusion that the tolerances are too tight to be successful. Best bet would be to use them for Omegas or even Pams.

Anyone know how Concepta cleared the dial on the 11C he built with the 2893-2?

A couple of options:

minimize the space between dial and movement. this would throw stem alignment off a bit, but you could save 0.10mm

find a set of hands with tall tubes to attach to the pinions... this would be the best option

bend the hands so they clear the markers.

My favorite is the 6542 with the bakelite pepsi bezel and Yuki has a really nice case set for sale.

This is absolutely one of my goals one of these days...but would suggest you try on the gen GMT IIc...it definitely can be used for dress/cas (not formal dress mind you)...that's one I'm considering for my Andy GMT movement.

Thanks for the info Stilty.

I have purchased a 2893-2 handset(wholesaleoutlet)and my 2893-2 and Rolex 1675 will all be shipped to Ziggy for the conversion.

I guess we'll know soon enough whether it can be done.

Fingers crossed. :g: