When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

new "bond" subs

biffa

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems that the insert is the hardest part. Watchesandparts has a very nice 6542 for sale right now at $10,000 but it has his aftermarket insert, which on that gen case and dial, just looks clown-like. :thumbdown:

Definitely. This should come as no real surprise to the old-timers here, but there is a new crop of 6542 inserts that are starting to hit the dealers' shelves that is damned close to the real thing. Check this 1 out

insert6542N.jpg

p.s. the White 6542 dial on NDT is aftermarket. Not sure why Natalie does not have the dials listed on the website, but I suspect they are available for the asking & will soon appear there (& on many other sites).

Definitely. This should come as no real surprise to the old-timers here, but there is a new crop of 6542 inserts that are starting to hit the dealers' shelves that is damned close to the real thing. Check this 1 out

p.s. the White 6542 dial on NDT is aftermarket. Not sure why Natalie does not have the dials listed on the website, but I suspect they are available for the asking & will soon appear there (& on many other sites).

Although i have only ever seen these inserts in photos that is very close, i imagine this will be pricy? they look great! and looks like they have the raised number too! and they do have a vintage tint look about it! question can these be fitted to a standard coin edge bezel? or will it need a special bezel to fit?

post-27094-127097593051_thumb.jpgpost-27094-127097603052_thumb.jpg here are some photos i found cant remember from where so appologies if these belong to any member (for i am unable to credit him/them)!

Edited by aeromatic

My current aftermarket insert (shown on my Phase 1 watch at right in the 1st pic) also has raised numbers, but the placement of the dots is off & it lacks the flat-top 4 of the gen & new insert.

The insert NDT is selling was 1st available through Andy & I placed an order over a month ago (in tandem with a gen insert that arrived in a totally unusable state (in many broken pieces & some powder), which was returned to the seller). Unfortunately, my order fell through some cracks, but is supposedly now en route to me. I can provide more details once I have it in-hand. However, I do know that these inserts are made to fit the gen 6542 bezel, so they should fit any aftermarket bezel that is made to the gen spec. I have a gen bezel, so fitment is not a problem, but you should check with the seller if you are trying to fit this (or any other aftermarket insert) into an aftermarket bezel

002-2_2__tonemapped1.jpg

0081-2.jpg

My current aftermarket insert (shown on my Phase 1 watch at right in the 1st pic) also has raised numbers, but the placement of the dots is off & it lacks the flat-top 4 of the gen & new insert.

The insert NDT is selling was 1st available through Andy & I placed an order over a month ago (in tandem with a gen insert that arrived in a totally unusable state (in many broken pieces & some powder), which was returned to the seller). Unfortunately, my order fell through some cracks, but is supposedly now en route to me. I can provide more details once I have it in-hand. However, I do know that these inserts are made to fit the gen 6542 bezel, so they should fit any aftermarket bezel that is made to the gen spec. I have a gen bezel, so fitment is not a problem, but you should check with the seller if you are trying to fit this (or any other aftermarket insert) into an aftermarket bezel

Thanks freddy333 for the info! i will try and get the insert and bezel from the same seller to be sure!

The crown on the silix cheapo version is a 5mm twinlock maybee off a datejust? these silix subs are very inaccurate - wrong crown, wrong bezel, wrong size - 40mm mine has also got a turnograph insert (although I like that makes it look more dated)

thats why i liked the look of these new ones a 1st glance they look to have less faults

a quick photo off my phone of my silix

Thanks, what do you assert the watcheden bond (see link in 1st post) to be? Looks bigger but I suspect its my wishful thinking which says "8 mm"..

MG

Well idlereplicas have now the new Bond watch in at 248usd free shipping , they also have the 3-6-9 explorer type dial actually my interest in these watches is for a low budget build, as i have said before i want to use the case to build a 6542 no crown guard gmt! using fxrAndys supplied 2893-2 movement i know that this watch cant be compared to my yuki 6538 franken but im looking to build a "homage" to the 6542 gmt because i will be using a modern fast beat movement i dont need the case to be as per gen but as close as you can go with a factory rep in this price range, im hoping i will be able to shoehorn a bakelite pepsi bezel insert, and im tryin to find a refinished white gmt dial this will be a everyday watch but with a vintage look! post-27094-127185786824_thumb.jpg

One other thought, aeromatic, is swapping to a cyclops plastic crystal- wonder if a T-116 will work? Maybe you just stick with the no cyclops look...

Hi alligoat

yes this could be a problem i have my plastic crystals made by member george loiz who is a watchmaker! i found that gen crystal wont fit in factory reps without having a specialy built glass retainer, i would prefer to have a cyclop what about fixing a cyclops to a homemade crystal? the saphire crystals are glued on the top of the glass , we will have to see the diameter of the t-116 until i get the watch first on the bench i cant be sure, they have made the watch 38mm diam like the gen so im hoping it will work!

Edited by aeromatic

Thanks, what do you assert the watcheden bond (see link in 1st post) to be? Looks bigger but I suspect its my wishful thinking which says "8 mm"..

MG

Doing a quick and dirty comparison it does look like the watcheden is an 8mm crown although it looks too thin.

post-4089-127191836016_thumb.jpg

Doing a quick and dirty comparison it does look like the watcheden is an 8mm crown although it looks too thin.

Yes i Agree it does look thin! here is a couple of quick shots of my bond 6538!post-27094-127194804544_thumb.jpgpost-27094-127194823067_thumb.jpg

I think the problem is the rep makers cant find a gen to work from as it is rare, i asked trusty last year if he could ask the factory to replicate this watch and sent him photos of a gen 6538 he replied we dont have a gen to do a replication and this is why it hasent been done but this version is a step in the right direction but they need to correct the mistakes, i dont know why they dont get the crowns right they mostly make the crown too big but this time to thin!

Yes i Agree it does look thin! here is a couple of quick shots of my bond 6538!post-27094-127194804544_thumb.jpgpost-27094-127194823067_thumb.jpg

I think the problem is the rep makers cant find a gen to work from as it is rare, i asked trusty last year if he could ask the factory to replicate this watch and sent him photos of a gen 6538 he replied we dont have a gen to do a replication and this is why it hasent been done but this version is a step in the right direction but they need to correct the mistakes, i dont know why they dont get the crowns right they mostly make the crown too big but this time to thin!

What's that your using as a spacer on the strap I could really do with something simillar for my 18mm "Help For Heroes" nato?

What's that your using as a spacer on the strap I could really do with something simillar for my 18mm "Help For Heroes" nato?

Hi biffa yes they are spacers made from some stainless steel tubes cut 1mm each for the 18mm you see i prefer the understrapper look like in goldfinger/thunderball it suites the 6538 watch better, i have tried the 20mm both in bond strap and olive green nato i dident like it. but bonds watch looked a mess with the watch strap sliding all over the place and its hardly fitting considering bonds classy taste so this way i have the best of both worlds but with style!

you can use some stainless steel tube from a motor factors or any DIY shop selling nuts and bolts you may be able to find some washers ready made it needs to slide on the springpins and be at lease as thick as the strap i dident glue them to the springpins but when you wear the strap and buckle it they stay in place!

I see That trustywatchguys got the new bond sub watches in with clone eta at 188 usd! same thin crown again! but there photo are always better taken!

Maybe that watch will be out in an asian 21j movt soon! I hate to spend too much money when all I'm doing is buying a case!

trusty sometimes sells case kits for some of his watches but i agree with you all we will be doing is buying a case actually im thinking of ordering the trusty red sub with the 2846 eta slow beat movement and if i get both then i could take the movement and use it for my 6542 project then put the asian into the redsub and with some bits n pcs left over in my drawer build up the redsub and sell it!

Considering what I have had to pay pay for some of my cases (gen & aftermarket), a couple hundred to buy a case that comes with an entire working watch is a real bargain. I often buy reps just to get a particular case (or hand, dial, caseback, etc). :whistling:

There are some bargain vintage reps around that with a bit here and there, they could make a great watch 200usd is not much as you say as i too have paid bucks for bits and pieces, i think one of the best buys at the moment is the vintage subs with the 2846 movements i would have considered paying that just for the movement! that bond sub can be worked on to make a super watch after all where is the fun in a ready made perfect watch? our hobbie has to be a project!