When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Chronohand reset problem

importr

Hi guys/gals

One of my a7750 chronos' hand keeps resetting to different postions. The hand is not loose (i checked and refitted it).

For example, if its refitted to 60secs, on the first reset it goes to 3secs, the next reset it goes to 5secs and then the next reset it goes to 7secs etc.

Is there a tutorial on how to fix this? Or is it a watchmaker service & repair only?

Contrary to your finding, the most likely cause of this is a loose hand wand (the pivot between the wand & tube is loose), which leaves the hand in different locations on the dial each time you reset it. The fixes are to remove & tighten the pivot with a staking tool (I assume you do not have this), to cement the pivot joint with epoxy or whatever or replace the hand.

handtuberepair.jpg

(Original pic courtesy of Avitt)

I think that the second hand itself is moving on the tube (which mounts the hand to the movement), that is attatched to the back of it. There is a tutorial somewhere to fix this but I can't locate it. I think that if your comfortable de-casing a movement and removing hands then its most likely fixable by you. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

wrote this while freddy posted. :whistling:

I think that the second hand itself is moving on the tube (which mounts the hand to the movement), that is attatched to the back of it. There is a tutorial somewhere to fix this but I can't locate it. I think that if your comfortable de-casing a movement and removing hands then its most likely fixable by you. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

wrote this while freddy posted. :whistling:

the tuto is here:

regards,

Francisco

Thanks guys, but i initially thought it was exactly the problem you describe, but after refitting it twice, and trying to move the needle (it wouldn't move) ......i think it is something more serious.

I hope i'm wrong! What i'll do tonight, is put a spare needle on, and see what happens.

Thanks again

Thanks guys, but i initially thought it was exactly the problem you describe, but after refitting it twice, and trying to move the needle (it wouldn't move) ......i think it is something more serious.

I hope i'm wrong! What i'll do tonight, is put a spare needle on, and see what happens.

Thanks again

wait a moment!

One I had a similar problem. The hand tube was firmly attached to the output pin...however, the hand rotated freely.

I found that the seconds gear was the problem. The pin was loose IN THE GEAR.

regards,

Francisco