When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rep #2

jalalinator

hey guys so my first rep was a 6.75 breitling for bentley, ive been wearing it for a month or so and i've decided to grab a new one. I'm looking to get a two tone black face rolex. I believe I like this one, please help and add any thoughts or advice you have on this watch and any suggestions are welcome. Thanks guys rwg rocks!

Watch: Rolex

I would perhaps consider going for a standard Asian ETA movement rather than a 'rolex clone' movement - from memory this clone movement isn't that high quality and rotors/bridges have worked loose on other watches very soon after purchase.

The Asian ETA is a reliable, well known movement, and should present no problems going by how little they are reported on here, plus you'd get the smooth rolex sweep that you desire.

heck I figured more money better quality, I guess I'll look into the eta asian movement, teejay personally I always deal with andrew he's a great guy. Thanks alot guys I'll keep you updated! Btw I love the two-tone gmt , I've had the real one for a few weeks and I fell in love, the gold and the black face really compliment eachother!

So if I were to get Expensive with an Asian ETA movement is that better then getting this Less Expensive or this Least Expensive

I'm pretty confused at this point.. lol

The first, expensive one is the dodgy clone movement so I'd avoid that one.

The middle one is the same as the last one - if you open both up and [alt]-[tab] between them, they have identical pictures! The only difference is that the middle one is Swiss ETA and the cheap one is Asia ETA.

Given that 'Swiss' ETA often turns out to be Asian ETA anyway, I'd go with the cheapest...

...but that's just me, and I'm not a rolex expert in any way so can't comment on the accuracy! (bar noticing that the last two have near perfect rehaut engravings!?)

i asked andrew and he said that "They are all made by the same factory but the latter version with Asia 3816 Rolex clone movement has a better case/bracelet updated. The earlier versions are not updated with the nicer ceramic bezel. =) For the Asia 3816 movement rolex clone, if you want me to install Swiss ETA 2836, we can do that for the same price. Thanks."

so I'm going to ask him to put the Asian ETA movement into the rolex with the clone 3186 movement. Sounds about right guys?

so I'm going to ask him to put the Asian ETA movement into the rolex with the clone 3186 movement. Sounds about right guys?

This would be fine if you can get it for $218 with the latest ceramic bezel and other misc upgrades. Maybe even as much as $258, but not more.

I agree w/ Member X, just buy the asian clone and go down the road. I'd certainly never pay extra for the asian 3135 clone- it's just an asian eta clone with the fancy bridges- certainly no better than the straight asian eta clone.

Is he saying that you will have to pay the $358 price rather than the $218 price if you get the asian ('swiss' :rolleyes:) clone 2836 put into the expensive one?

If so, you have to ask yourself if you're happy to pay an extra $140 for what he says is a better case and bracelet. That's quite a lot of money extra - you could literally buy a beautiful 21j Datejust as posted recently with a MoP dial for that...

Can you tell the difference between these two?

771d928341c61aea14b2ab62402d6d3e.image.800x532.jpg

27626b949e9915b3d8dbbd0117ca05b1.image.800x531.jpg

and this one?

gmtmasterii.jpg

It's hard to tell as I think he's tweaked the colour and brightness levels on the photos...

I would have said that the rehaut engraving on the top one looks non-existent? Whereas the second one looks pretty similar to the third one in rehaut (if slightly misaligned) and also bezel numerals colour (IMO).

As for other differences I've not really looked, you will have to do that to decide. The top one looks a bit brighter on the steel but that could be the photograph tweaking, as already mentioned...

P.S. could you tell which was which? Most expensive was the top one, the least expensive was the middle one, and the bottom is gen ;)

i could tellbecause as u said the gold and such looks much better on the expensive one as opposed to the least expensive one, but it looks as if on the expensive one theres no rolex engraving on the rehaut, im so confused now that ubiquitous said not to get a gmt. Now I don't know what to buy, I'm waiting on a reply back from him on the pricing for the asian ('swiss') clone in the expensive one. im so lost this is gonna be my first rolex rep and I don't want to be disappointed after the great experience I had with my breitling 6.75 bentley

Ehhh... I hate to be the one to put you off on it, but I've been of the understanding that the Asian GMTs are rather hit or miss (unless something in the desig has changed; I don't follow the GMT Rolex reps too closely). I do think that a standard time/date only model is the safer bet for longevity; fewer complications will only improve your odds.

But, I could be completely off mark as well...

Does this come down to Correct Hand Stack (CHS) vs Incorrect or Wrong Hand Stack (IHS/WHS) movements?

From what was said in BK's thread in his section, and as I think I've read elsewhere, CHS is a timebomb and WHS is pretty reliable, so this one should be alright if it's the WHS movement?

Not 100% on that though, further research is needed...