When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

"Late Model" Orange Explorer II

jmb

Seems I remember somebody posted a pic of this thing a month or two back and it intrigued me so I ordered a cheap one to mess with. Of course, it came with the wrong crown (I've came to expect that with cheap Explorer IIs and GMTs). :angry: After installing the correct crown and tube I looked at the movement wrong and screwed the keyless so I had to rip it apart and put stuff back where it belonged. :blink: In the process of recovering from that goof I then knocked a chunk of white paint off the minutes hand and left teeth marks on the GMT hand! :black_eye: Sometimes it just doesn't pay to get out of bed... :thumbdown:

Well, I finally got it stuck back together with all of it's "user applied warts" and figured I'd toss up a couple pics - just for grins.

I remember thinking, after seeing the pic, I would either love it or hate it and I think my feelings are leaning NOT toward the love side. It's not a bad looking watch but the dial is just too "busy" and at night it's got more crap lit up on it than a Christmas tree. It will probably wind up in the for sale section for cheap and somebody else can give it a paint job!

For your entertainment....

Here it is as received:

OH Exp II before 1.jpg

And after changing the crown - made a big difference even all other things considered:

OH Exp II 1.jpg

OH Exp II 2.jpg

OH Exp II 3.jpg

OH Exp II 4.jpg

Oh well, ya can't win 'em all I s'pose!

Funny how the lugholes have disappeared and you've got a bracelet with SEL's. The rep mfrs just keep updating stuff! I also like the CN datewheel.

This Chronotac Explorer 2 has worked out well for me at $70.

081122009a1.jpg

And it's not a fake, it's a knock-off! At least no one will ask me if it's real! Those gen vintage Explorer II's are getting so expensive, it's crazy.

Oh, shoot, JB, I missed the sapphire/mineral crystal on yours.