When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Can't Decide On The Girl's B-day Present

slay

Ok, Paris is not, I repeat not, that expensive. You just need to know how to avoid the walletectomy that so many places offer. Eating out can cost as little as 10€ a head for good food, as long as you avoid the tourist traps.

If you ever visit London or New York, you'll be introduced to expensive. Cost of living in Paris is 25%-30% less than London.

If she is THE lady (at least the one of the current year)...Paris, no doubt. :wub: (Prepare your wallet though. But you should be able to find good lodging values close to the School of Medicine or even close to the Place des Vosges :g: )

In case you dated her for less than 2 weekends rent "La vie en Rose" or "Sabrina"...show her Paris and buy yourself a gen sub! :D

Alex

or even close to the Place des Vosges :g: )

Place des Voges? :blink:

If you want cheap accomodation, you head away from the centre. 18th, near (but not too near) Montmartre, is cheap, for instance. Bastille/Marais isn't. Being away from the centre isn't that important as the Metro system (and the buses) is efficient enough that anywhere is at most 45 minutes away from anywhere important.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Paris

Paris is great, beautiful, romantic and not as expensive as people state. You can find places to eat very well that are very reasonable. Try going to places where the French go, not the tourist rip-offs you also find in London, NYC, Madrid etc...etc... Also you can find good places to stay fairly well priced. Check expedia - then look up the hotel on tripadvisor.com and read the reviews to get a really good picture.

Ok, Paris is not, I repeat not, that expensive. You just need to know how to avoid the walletectomy that so many places offer. Eating out can cost as little as 10€ a head for good food, as long as you avoid the tourist traps.

Sooo true Pug! Do some shopping around also - sometimes the same hotel can be up to 70% cheaper depending on who you book with (tip - don't go through the chain's official website). I got a rather nice three star with private parking off Place D'Italie for the same price as I would have paid for a boring old Ibis on the outskirts. From there it was a short walk to China town and some of the tastiest meals I have had, anywhere. The low bills afterwards were even more surprising.

For some reason though beer is expensive no matter where you go (supermarkets excepted...)

Edited by r11co

No question...

PARIS... believe me i have been there once with one of my girlfriends... you'll have a lot of fun... you can't compare it if you give her a watch... even if she isn't interested in watches...

PARIS

117476-22404.jpg

Get her the watch; that is enough for a gf.

Save Paris for if she ever becomes your wife.

$300 watch VS $3000 vacation? Hmmmmmm...........

Get her the rep and you a genuine pre owned sub. Everybody's happy and you get to spend your money. :D

Paris is not that far away from where Ken is living... it's an few hours ride by car or train... nearly 1 to 1.5 hours by plane... so the costs would be nearly the same... you can't compare it with a travel from the US to Paris :lol:

Place des Voges? :blink:

If you want cheap accomodation, you head away from the centre. 18th, near (but not too near) Montmartre, is cheap, for instance. Bastille/Marais isn't. Being away from the centre isn't that important as the Metro system (and the buses) is efficient enough that anywhere is at most 45 minutes away from anywhere important.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Paris

In the old days I used to stay 5 or 6 blocks away from Place des Vosges...a cheap place right of a "Let's go Paris"...then upgraded to a couple of blocks away from the Musee d'Orsay and the restaurant Le Telegraphe (sorry about my french spelling Pugs)...but the last couple of times over there...got great deals at The Bristol...compliments of the contacts of a former GF (and still good friend...she's english)...

I go back everytime I have the chance...I used to fly out on a Friday and come back on a Monday...take a good book, walk around, eat cheaply during the day and drink coffee and port until late reading in a sidewalk cafe. Memories, memories...what an amazing place...you'll find love every time...even if it is with the city itself. :wub:

Cheers :victory:

Alex

OK, I have a serious problem. I dont know what to get my g/f for her birthday. I always thought I'd get her a nice PP24 (http://perfect-clones.com/pp01005-ladies-hours-double-diamonds-black-swiss-quartz-p-1576.html <- Rivers version is BETTER than Josh's and closer to the gen,but I dont have the link on hand right now, so this will do!) from river and maybe a tiffany bracelet. But now I think of a trip of Paris being a better alternative!

She loves Disney stuff, and Disney land, so I thought I could finance us a trip to paris&disney world. That way I might also be able to have a beer with pug or a cohiba with ryyannon (my treat lol).

But thats not really the point. The point is, while being very very nice, the PP24 is a just a replica. My stomach tells me not to get her a replica. In the end, a rep is a rep, a knock off, not the real deal and a helluvalot cheaper. Imagine your dad get's you a fake rolex for your harvard MBA! How would you feel? How would your dad feel?

On the other hand, I really like the PP24 lol and I'd like it even more on her wrist :)

So, one week Paris including a trip to Disney Land, or the PP24?

Cant do both, as I'm already plaing a trip to NYC for New Years for the both of us.

Paris for sure. The pp 24 is a beautiful watch, but it is a rep and and giving a loved one a rep... she may read an unintended msg into getting a replica as a gift (save that for when you are married :lol: ) BTW, I am in NYC too... if we are doing a show and tell please include me!

$300 watch VS $3000 vacation? Hmmmmmm...........

Get her the rep and you a genuine pre owned sub. Everybody's happy and you get to spend your money. :D

Paris is not 3000$. More like 300$ per person for 3 days! Or 150$ for 1day. Includes the fee for disneyland!

If you take her to Paris now...she'll want Rome, Prague, and Spain when your married.

Get her the rep...because when she falls in love with it, you can get her the gen when you're married.

Start off slow, brother!

Wouldnt be that bad. Flying to all the mentioned cities is just a bit over 20$ per person (flights are really cheap over here). It would cost me more to visit munich with her by train than rome by plane lol

And I'm btw. pretty sure that I will NOT marry her, simply because we want to do 2 whole different things with our life and we wanna live in two whole different places. I will be joining the armed forces next year and I will then fly off to switzerland, hong kong or america to complete my degree!

But I still love her a lot and she loves me too, and I'm not the kind of person that thinks too much in the future when it comes to your girl. I wanna enjoy the time we have!

Forget Paris and take her to Prague - much more atmosphere and cheaper too !!

G :)

Prague is the alternative for NYC, because I think we can party much better in prague than in NYC (NYC was one of the BIGGEST disapointments when it comes to nightlife, EVER!)

Go to Paris, but forget Disneyland. That is like going to Italy and then eating at McDonalds.

She loves Disney stuff and she would stab me (seriously) if I get her a trip to paris, but NOT a ticket for disney land!

100% PARIS

(Slay, du weisst doch wie unsere Frauen sind. Ein Replica bleibt für sie ein Replica. Die finden ne 250euro D&G Uhr -die von der Verabreitung nur 30euro wert ist- besser als ein SUPER Replica mit wesentlich besserer Quali. Einfach nur weil es ein Nachbau ist)

Good thing about her is, she doesnt care at ALL about brands like D&G and Cartier or Versace :D She's happy with H&M

I'm going to be biased and suggest Paris. I'd be able to find some time to show you around, probably. Definitely beer, though.

ps. I took Mrs Pugwash on a trip to Paris 7 years ago. We stayed.

That would be cool! I'll keep you and ryyannon updated!

If you ever visit London or New York, you'll be introduced to expensive. Cost of living in Paris is 25%-30% less than London.

Yeah, I've been to paris before, its not that expensive.

No question...

PARIS... believe me i have been there once with one of my girlfriends... you'll have a lot of fun... you can't compare it if you give her a watch... even if she isn't interested in watches...

PARIS

Paris is not that far away from where Ken is living... it's an few hours ride by car or train... nearly 1 to 1.5 hours by plane... so the costs would be nearly the same... you can't compare it with a travel from the US to Paris :lol:

exactly :)

Paris is about as far away from where I live as New York from Boston ;)

Paris for sure. The pp 24 is a beautiful watch, but it is a rep and and giving a loved one a rep... she may read an unintended msg into getting a replica as a gift (save that for when you are married :lol: ) BTW, I am in NYC too... if we are doing a show and tell please include me!

I will ;)

Haha... I need to take some new pics....

Started to work on it... with my new GF :)

Here is the one I took today:

117732-22321.jpg

And another one:

117732-22322.jpg

As for the question... I would go for both... after all that 24 is not that expensive.

Edited by Sql_pl

Haha... I need to take some new pics....

Started to work on it... with my new GF :)

Here is the one I took today:

117907-22259.jpg

And another one:

117907-22260.jpg

As for the question... I would go for both... after all that 24 is not that expensive.

you broke up with the other one? nice A/R coating on that PAM lol

paris. if you can afford it, go, my friend.

you could wake up tommorrow and be run over by a truck.

who cares if you marry her or not---the people telling you to 'save' x or y for 'the one' are crazy IMO.

do fun stuff now. end of story.

paris. if you can afford it, go, my friend.

you could wake up tommorrow and be run over by a truck.

who cares if you marry her or not---the people telling you to 'save' x or y for 'the one' are crazy IMO.

do fun stuff now. end of story.