When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

modifying the inside of rolex replica case???

Timelord

Just out of curiousiity, does anyone know if the expense of properly modifying the inside of a replica Rolex case which is originally equipped with an eta mvt, so that it would accomodate a genuine movement be almost as costly as replacing it wth the genuine case kit? Sometimes when the genuine cases are not readliy available, I was wondering if this is a temporary cheaper alternative., as I have seen some pretty engenious projects .. Many thanks for your replies.

For example, I've been told the DW case will accept a genuine v73 movement given a little machining. But the DW movement and case are nearly identical to genuine to start with......

what is a DW?

For a rolex datejust:

gen case on the bay usd 150-300, gen movement on the bay usd750-xxxx

why would you put a gen movement in rep case? espacially on non see-thru back watches?

It would only be a temporary situation until the right genuine case is found., which is why I was weighing out the pros and cons of whether modifying a replica case for the time being, would have been an inexpensive excercise when compared to buying the real deal. I do not know what is involved or what expense may be towards making such a modification. It may not be worth the trouble if the savings are very minimal for a non permanent solution, which is what I am trying to find out.

for non permanent dont bother even for permanent, like i sayd, you can buy complete rolex rep for like 160-350 bucks, you mod it to fit org movement, so you will end up with:

fake looking watch, which everyone can see, and gen movement which nobody can see.

i dont get it.

Oh no, I don't need to spend 160-350 bucks on a complete rep, as I already have the empty replica case given to me by another fellow enthusiast, which is why I was trying to investigate what the cost of machining the inside would be, until I found the real McCoy. I do see you point as it would be ludicrous to spend that sum of money on a complete rolex rep.

It would be best to get a genuine case on ebay. And a 1575 movt. for an older datejust would go for $800-1000.

Wouldn't it be better to watch Astorlive or one of the other reputable dealers and get a real Datejust? I've seen em as low as $850 for a 1500 Date and there are good ones to be had in the $1000 to 1500 range- and they're not Frankenwatches. Just vintage Rolex.

Unless you just happen to have the movement laying around, and want to put it to use, then I'd get the gen case. Then you'd have a genuine Frankenwatch, instead of a Rep w/ a Rolex movement- there's no future in a rep w/ a gen movement!

FYI, Saabin did mod a MBW DRSD case and put a 1575 movt in it- but that was probably 5-6 months ago.

It would be best to get a genuine case on ebay. And a 1575 movt. for an older datejust would go for $800-1000.

Wouldn't it be better to watch Astorlive or one of the other reputable dealers and get a real Datejust? I've seen em as low as $850 for a 1500 Date and there are good ones to be had in the $1000 to 1500 range- and they're not Frankenwatches. Just vintage Rolex.

Unless you just happen to have the movement laying around, and want to put it to use, then I'd get the gen case. Then you'd have a genuine Frankenwatch, instead of a Rep w/ a Rolex movement- there's no future in a rep w/ a gen movement!

FYI, Saabin did mod a MBW DRSD case and put a 1575 movt in it- but that was probably 5-6 months ago.

I remember Saabin's 1665 movement swap.

By the way, where is Saabin? He's been MIA for a long time.