When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ETZ 2010 DSSD Steel vs Tudor 9411 & 16750

panerai153

In my previous short review of the DSSD 2010 model from ETZ, one of the respondents asked if this was the new "316F" stainless steel? I don't know to be honest. I didn't ask, and there was nothing on the ETZ website to indicate the steel used. It seems like in a recent very comprehensive review, one of our fellow members did a series of metallurgical tests on a watch that claimed to be 316F, and his conclusion was that the steel was not 316F.

No matter what the steel number is, I believe that most members want the steel to look and feel as close to the genuine Rolex steel as possible. What I did here was do a side by side comparison of the DSSD with two genuine Rolex watches with genuine bracelets. I was pressed for time, so I took these outside in direct sunlight. If I have time this weekend I will try using my light tent to see what they look like using artificial light.

These photos were not "photoshopped" except to reduce the image size. No color enhancements color corrections, etc. Just as they came from the camera.

Here are the side by sides.

P4280051a.jpg

Bright direct sunlight. The bracelet on the Tudor is at a different angle, so reflectivity is different, but if you look at the cases and the end links on the bracelets on the lower side of the photo, they all look pretty close to me.

P4280052a.jpg

Bracelets and cases in direct sunlight

P4280055a.jpg

Watches in the shade. It looks as though the Tudor steel is darker than the other two, but slight differences.

What do you think? IMO, the steel is similar enough in appearance that no one would be able to tell whether or not this was a replica or genuine, just seeing the watch alone on your wrist, based on steel color alone.

A-

Excellent review. They did do a nice job on that metal in any case. The whole concept of exactly what steel it is has made me chuckle. If you have any experience dealing with Chinese steel manufacturers and distributors you will find that half the time the distributor has no idea what he is selling. They are not testing what they receive. They take what the factory supplies in good faith. And as for steel going to a rep factory? You don't think the Distributor does whatever he wants? :lol:

But you are right it is a great improvement. And just to remind everyone duplicating the 904 steel is relevant for watches beginning with 1987 on the sport watches.

Hi,

Could you tell me where I can find a bracelet like the one on the Tudor? I think it looks very nice.

Thanks,

Catalin

Catalin,

That is a Rolex oyster bracelet 93150 with a Tudor clasp. It is old and stretched some. You can pick these up on Ebay (Be careful of copies here), all of the Rolex forums have sales pages and these come up for sale pretty regularly. try the sales page on the Vintage Rolex Forum. Also occasionally fellow RWG members have had these for sale, so keep and eye out on the RWG sales forum.

Nice trio there :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks for taking the time to do the side-by-sides - I can't see a difference in the steel.

Beano

P.S. Love the Tudor - why is there no 'cartel' reps of the great Tudor models??

A very good question... There're some Tudor reps available, but none of the Submariners. It might be that the powers behind the factories feel that Tudor Subs wouldn't sell as well as Rolex Subs, (Due to them not being 'Rolex') so no point in making them :pardon: Personally, I prefer the anonymity of the Tudor branding...

On Topic, awesome comparison, and it goes to show just how close these reps can be :good::victory: