When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Which Explorer II is that?

geestyleed

Hi guys,

I had some mod plan in the past days on my EXII and PO.

But sadly I have no idea which Explorer II I have, because of gen. Dial.

I bought the watch in November 2007 used from a private seller. It supposed to have a Swiss ETA. The Rolex sticker on the back had the right number. I can turn the GMT-Hand with the crown, but I doubt any use :whistling:

That is all I can tell you :wounded1:

At the moment the watch is in Germany and I am in the US so I cannot deliver more pictures than the pictures shown below.

lgim0124pf0u8tu.jpg

060408100659sr6e8ny.jpg

I also added the picture of my 45.5mm PO. I bought this one new from the same source. Also Swiss ETA. Bought somewhere in 2008 - about May. I have this one in the US - so more pictures possible.

lgim0215pc017xz.jpg

Greetz,

Gee :animal_rooster:

Edited by geestyleed

If you have a gen dial and a swiss eta, the only other thing you can do is get a better case. But sadly, there aren't any readily available. The early Explorer II's from the noob factory would take a gen dial, but the current ones don't. Your dial is the latest one for the 16570 model. Like Chiman says, your case looks kinda wokky, but hopefully it's the picture, cause there's not much you can do about it. Sadly, this model is one of the most poorly repped models out there.

You could try to find a noob factory early EXPII case, but they are few and far between. Maybe in the future, we'll get a better rep of the Explorer II.

Why do you think the case looks wokky? I know the word wonky, but I have never heard wokky before :rolleyes: .

I thought the EXII would be decent rep. The only real problem I spot was the too dark GMT hand and the slightly yellowish DW.

I found this one of the EXII:

imgp18338kc.jpg

I think to summarize: all my rolex reps are crap :whistling:

Do you think the PO is a Ulitamte PO? There is the plan to go for new bezel, hands, crown and AR :victory:

Another PO pic - funny that I post that in the Rolex section :unsure:

lgim0214vp2.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by geestyleed

Why do you think the case looks wokky? I know the word wonky, but I have never heard wokky before :rolleyes: .

I thought the EXII would be decent rep. The only real problem I spot was the too dark GMT hand and the slightly yellowish DW.

I found this one of the EXII:

imgp18338kc.jpg

I think to summarize: all my rolex reps are crap :whistling:

Do you think the PO is a Ulitamte PO? There is the plan to go for new bezel, hands, crown and AR :victory:

Another PO pic - funny that I post that in the Rolex section :unsure:

lgim0214vp2.jpg

By "wokky" he means that the inner rehaut ring,(the metal ring between the dial and crystal... is angled in towards the dial. A gen GMT would have a rehaut that was a bit more cylindrical and would have such angular sides.. (like a WOK)..

The PO.. does appear to be a UPO from the second hand.. It's still hard to be 100% sure because your shirt is blocking a crucial part in determining whether it's a PO.. THE HE VALVE! Do you have any head-on shots of the watch but without the HE valve being covered by your shirt? :pardon:

By "wokky" he means that the inner rehaut ring,(the metal ring between the dial and crystal... is angled in towards the dial. A gen GMT would have a rehaut that was a bit more cylindrical and would have such angular sides.. (like a WOK)..

The PO.. does appear to be a UPO from the second hand.. It's still hard to be 100% sure because your shirt is blocking a crucial part in determining whether it's a PO.. THE HE VALVE! Do you have any head-on shots of the watch but without the HE valve being covered by your shirt? :pardon:

Yeah you are right! It is pretty wokky :thumbdown:

I will get some PO photos tonight - just to make 100% sure.

Edit: Here we go:

lgim0442.jpg

lgim0445.jpg

lgim0444.jpg

lgim0443.jpg

Edited by geestyleed

Pretty sure it's a UPO. Looks good. If i were you I'd invest in a stainless steel refinishing pad and go to town on your bracelet. But i'm obsessed like that! :pardon:

The first and most important for this watch is the Gen Crown Tube and Crown. This model is NOTORIOUS for the crown threads stripping. I think mine are on the way out.. Next most important is AR.. then comes the dial and bezel insert. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

p.s. I think only the bezel insert is changeable (with some modding). The gen bezel piece won't fit the UPO. :wounded1:

Pretty sure it's a UPO. Looks good. If i were you I'd invest in a stainless steel refinishing pad and go to town on your bracelet. But i'm obsessed like that! :pardon:

The first and most important for this watch is the Gen Crown Tube and Crown. This model is NOTORIOUS for the crown threads stripping. I think mine are on the way out.. Next most important is AR.. then comes the dial and bezel insert. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

p.s. I think only the bezel insert is changeable (with some modding). The gen bezel piece won't fit the UPO. :wounded1:

Thanks man!

Tube and Crown arent that expensive, as well the hands. AR is also decent.

But to go for 200$ for the bezel insert and 200$ for the dial is another league. I am not sure if it is worth...

• 1 year later...

If you have a gen dial and a swiss eta, the only other thing you can do is get a better case. But sadly, there aren't any readily available. The early Explorer II's from the noob factory would take a gen dial, but the current ones don't. Your dial is the latest one for the 16570 model. Like Chiman says, your case looks kinda wokky, but hopefully it's the picture, cause there's not much you can do about it. Sadly, this model is one of the most poorly repped models out there.

You could try to find a noob factory early EXPII case, but they are few and far between. Maybe in the future, we'll get a better rep of the Explorer II.

Can anybody shed some light on how to tell which early Noob EXPII is which. And how to tell if you have the version that will take a gen dial?

Can anybody shed some light on how to tell which early Noob EXPII is which. And how to tell if you have the version that will take a gen dial?

Unfortunately, the only real way to tell is to take a calipers to it... I've owned 10+ Explorer II reps, and externally the cases pretty much all look the same.

The dial opening is too big for gen dial in some of the later cases.