When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sec@12 works intermittently?

Got a secs@12 a weeks ago and now its starting to show problems.

Runs perfectly fine with massive power reserve when placed dial face down. But when facing up right, such as on the wrist, it last at most 20 minutes and requires a shake to start again. Is this a sign that it is about to fail? Is there a remedy?

I don't like in the USA, so shipping it off to get it serviced is rather difficult.

Got a secs@12 a weeks ago and now its starting to show problems.

Runs perfectly fine with massive power reserve when placed dial face down. But when facing up right, such as on the wrist, it last at most 20 minutes and requires a shake to start again. Is this a sign that it is about to fail? Is there a remedy?

I don't like in the USA, so shipping it off to get it serviced is rather difficult.

some info here:

I have an AP black theme that is in modding..we are trying to add 2 more jewels on the modded plate...I will let you know how it works....:whistling:

if you read my tuto you will discover that friction is not stopping your watch... it is an assembling problem.

Friction could only causes problems at a very long period.

regards,

Francisco

if you read my tuto you will discover that friction is not stopping your watch... it is an assembling problem.

regards,

Francisco

Yes Francisco but we will see what could be the improvement..:rolleyes:

Edited by Yannou

regards,

Francisco

I think my ROO is also having this problem. Do you think this can be handled easily by a watchsmith?

I think my ROO is also having this problem. Do you think this can be handled easily by a watchsmith?

well, if he has the tools, the skill and my tuto:

I have done this to about a dozen of APs...some of them were dead. And all of them are working now.

Regards,

Francisco

Four of my APs are going to Francisco next week for the mod... Kinda bummed as they will be off my wrist during the down time....But his work is worth the wait...Well worth it IMHO

a swiss eta does not have the seconds running at 12 but at 9. currently the only way the ap watches get the seconds at 12 is by the chinese movements, which has to be modded/re-assembled properly. i am interested to know how domi adds these jewels to the movement but i can't seem to get a response from guru. i would like to compare these 2 methods of modding to see which one is more effective and lasting.

i will send my ap for francisco's mod once i receive a better piece (with a more centered datewheel) from my dealer.

Honest opinion Francisco. Which do you think is a better option. Modding the secs @12 the way you describe or replacing with a swiss eta (does it suffer from the same problems, like a-b gear connection?)?

Well, I would like people to find their own conclusions. For that reason, all the info why APs are failing is shown in this tuto:

swapping to an ETA will not solve assembling problems.

adding a jewel to the plate is an improvement, better than polishing, of course. However, following video shows that jerking movement is produced in the first gear couple. This video was taken with all the rest the gears removed:

However, after the modification, and without jewel, the movement is very smooth:

after modification:

regards,

Francisco

Edited by Francisco