When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

BK/WM9 V3 Sub Bezel

omgiv

Hi Guys,

BK seems to be out of the WM9 16610 subs until June, and I am starting to obsess about it. I have been waiting to place my order for one and have been collecting parts to install on it. So far, I have a genuine tube and crown, crystal, and bezel insert. I was reading some posts the other day saying that the bezel doesn't exactly look the same as the real thing. I think that I also read where a genuine bezel won't fit on the WM9 crystal retaining ring. I was wondering how different the bezel is on the V3 as opposed to the genuine. I don't recall seeing a side by side comparison of the V3. I was also wondering where the best place to find the retaining ring/ bezel set would be. I have searched eBay and nothing is active. If anyone knows of a place to get one, please PM me. Thanks for the time and help!!!!

Can't comment on the V3, but I do have first hand experience with the V1.

1) The gen bezel does indeed have slightly different details over the rep. Shape of teeth (and precision), profile, finish, etc.

2) In order to fit the gen bezel, you need the entire bezel assembly to do it the easy way. This includes the retention ring, click, washer, etc. For good measure, I did a gen crystal and appropriate gasket as well... You can fit the gen bezel to the WM9 ring, but it will require some modification to get it to work.

I should have taken some better comparison pics while I had both, but hind sight is always 20/20; I don't have any good pics on hand now that would provide a fair representation of the two (though I do have this macro of the gen bezel) :)

IMG_2052a.jpg

Thanks Ubi!!! Hindsight is always 20/20. i appreciate the help. I am hoping to make it a smoking watch, so I will probably hold out for the whole assembly. Do you know if aftermarket parts for the tension and click spring will work just as good or do they need to be gen? Just seeing how much searching I am going to have to do. Thanks!!!

Washer and click should be fairly interchangable, but when I picked up my assembly, it was complete. You may be able to find one all inclusive as well...

Also... I'm not sure how things like the click will effect the feel of the bezel rotation if at all. I never tried mixing and matching, so can't say for sure.

Thanks Ubi!!! Hindsight is always 20/20. i appreciate the help. I am hoping to make it a smoking watch, so I will probably hold out for the whole assembly. Do you know if aftermarket parts for the tension and click spring will work just as good or do they need to be gen? Just seeing how much searching I am going to have to do. Thanks!!!

Not to highjack this thread but it is the same subject...I have an MBK 16610 to which I have been thinking of installing a gen or aftermarket bezel ring. BK told me, last week, that you cannot put a gen or aftermarket bezel on an MBK caseset. (said the MBK is unique) Is this what you believe to be true, or can you, as you say, do it if it you install the whole assembly.

Generally speaking, the bezel ring is a problem with most reps.

Edited by preacher62

I worked with BK in great detail in trying to put together a V3 like you describe. We wound up aborting and I decided to live with my V2.

The V3/LV case makes fitting a gen crystal / gen insert combo an exercise in finding the correct bezel, or having to do some sanding and modifying of the parts. Even amongst the WM parts, it seemed no two were exactly the same. You could get lucky. In my case, it all "looked" right, but the bezel did not "function" like a gen.

YMMV. In the meantime, my V2 with Clarks Crystal, and Gen crown, will simply get a Gen insert and I will call it a day.

That is very interesting. I have talked with BK about it and he didn't mention any difficulties about installing a gen crystal. Maybe I will PM him and double check on things. Thanks!!!!

Crystal is a different thing. My belief is that it will work. I have a Clark on one of my MBKs and it is a direct replacement for a gen Rolex crystal.

Preacher,

Can you post a pic of your MBW with the bezel removed?

That should be enough to give you direction on this...

Will post on tomorrow. What I have is a TT that I would like to convert to all SS. I have a Noob LV that I would like to put in it.

Thanks!

MT

That is very interesting. I have talked with BK about it and he didn't mention any difficulties about installing a gen crystal. Maybe I will PM him and double check on things. Thanks!!!!

The difficulties are not so much is simply getting them installed. It is getting them installed and having a "gen feel" when actuating, actually using the bezel. Myself and others, including LV owners, have noticed some of the bezels become very difficult to turn. (BK has a post about it, and how to press and turn).

A non-issue if you never plan to hand your watch to someone who is a "bezel turner", or if you are not a bezel user. (I use mine regularly to time parking meters, etc, so it was a show stopper for me.) Again, depending on the 'moment in time, and WM9 parts BK has on hand YMMV...

The good thing is you are working with BK-- he is :1a: in getting or making things right.

Will post on tomorrow. What I have is a TT that I would like to convert to all SS. I have a Noob LV that I would like to put in it.

Thanks!

MT

@ubi - Here are some pics. Any clarification would be appreciated.

Bottom of the bezel ring

100_2590_resize.jpg

Top of bezel ring

100_2589_resize.jpg

Case shots

100_2594_resize.jpg

100_2593_resize.jpg

I apologize for the glue. I have heard that MBKs have lots of glue in them...well, that's true of this one. I removed about a pound.

preacher-

If you have the entire bezel assembly, it should work. The construction looks the same as gen, so if you swapped the retention ring, the washer, click and bezel ring, you should be good.

Fitting just the gen/aftermarket bezel ring to a rep retention ring is usually where the issue is.

preacher-

If you have the entire bezel assembly, it should work. The construction looks the same as gen, so if you swapped the retention ring, the washer, click and bezel ring, you should be good.

Fitting just the gen/aftermarket bezel ring to a rep retention ring is usually where the issue is.

Thanks so much! I wasn't going to try it after my communication with Bert, but now I think I will.

First step I would take is ensuring the bezel and all related parts are clean, free of dirt, glue or any other binding agents that might prohibit function.

If all parts check out clean, I would then try and narrow a tight bezel down to the component. Start by removing the insert from the bezel, and then remove the click and the washer. With the insert removed, press the bezel back down onto the retention ring, and check rotation; lack of insert will allow you to inspect visually while turning. If there is still a good portion of resistance with those components removed, it's likely to do with the fit between the bezel and retention ring. I would try a very light coat of lubrication between the bezel ring and retention ring; if rotation eases up a bit, then there may be an issue of either the bezel or retention ring being too small or large respectively. A light sanding of the diameter of the problematic component may reduce enough to allow for cleaner, easier rotation; I highly suggest taking this process slow and test fitting often as you do not want to take too much material off to maintain correct fit.

If the bezel rotates fine sans click and washer, start re-introducing those parts one at a time until you run into resistance. With the insert removed, you should be able to isolate where the trouble is, and hopefully it's origin.

I'm wondering if anybody has ever tried "lapping in" a bezel and associated parts. You could maybe thin some fine valve grinding compound, coat the mating surfaces, assemble, rotate a few times, clean, and test.

Washer and click should be fairly interchangable, but when I picked up my assembly, it was complete. You may be able to find one all inclusive as well...

Also... I'm not sure how things like the click will effect the feel of the bezel rotation if at all. I never tried mixing and matching, so can't say for sure.

My V2 had a gen bezel and crystal retaining ring installed. The click spring and friction washer were from WM9 and all the parts functioned harmoniously.

I'm wondering if anybody has ever tried "lapping in" a bezel and associated parts. You could maybe thin some fine valve grinding compound, coat the mating surfaces, assemble, rotate a few times, clean, and test.

Ahhhh... This would be a great method, especially if the bezel is snug/tight to rotate, but not so tight you can't turn it...