When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Case Making 101 - Chapter 1

jmb

As some of you enjoy "nuts and bolts" stuff (I do) I figured I'd present the "Readers Digest" version of machining a case. This exercise will use the "1530" style as an example as I seem to be obsessed with/fascinated by these at the moment.

I started out with a slab of 3/8" thick 316 stainless and centered it up in the 4 jaw chuck in the lathe:

case 1.JPG

The case is then drilled and bored out to the initial size of the diameter of the rehaut:

case 2.JPG

Face off the top of the "slab" leaving a [censored]/stub of the proper diameter for the crystal - Why the H3LL is "FLANG3" censored!!??

case 3.JPG

I next set the desired angle on the lathe's compound and machined the face of the rehaut:

case 5.JPG

After this step I test fitted the crystal:

case 6.JPG

The "slab" is then flipped around and "indicated" in. This operation uses test indicators to make sure the bore is exactly centered and the surface has no "wobble" or is running true in the plane:

case 7.JPG

case 8.JPG

The interior features are then machined:

case 11.JPG

An old movement is then test-fit. After this step the back-side was then machined/dished to the proper thickness and the threads cut in the case for the case back.

case 12.JPG

This completes the "interior" of the case. Chapter 2 will cover milling the external features of the case.

Very interesting process, and some of your pics have given me some ideas with regards to a possible project (I'll PM you offline sometime about it).

Not sure why flange is censored for you, but I can honestly say that I have heard the term used when describing the appearance of a specific female anatomical detail in situ with a pair of thong undies...

:)

Great idea for a series. How do you find the 316 for cutting? The one time I had an SS project on the lathe/mill I found it to be quite a PITA....very slow going. Looks like you have quite a lathe there. Nice 4 jaw chuck too.

Looking forward to chapter 2. :)

krpstr, I don't care for it. I think the next one will be made from 303! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Lathe is a cheap Chinese 9 x 20 with a few "modifications"...