When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is It Worth The $$$

gpuck

in every case it is worth the money!

I don't think it is as simple as that. I look primarily for visual authenticity in the reps of models of watches I have chosen to buy and if authenticity stretches to the movement too then that is a bonus, but I wouldn't prefer an ETA over an Asian if it was equally the wrong movement for the watch and all other things were equal.

If the ETA choice means the watch mimics the beat of the real thing better then I will go for it, but that isn't necessarily always the case either (for example with the Omega Planet Ocean - the Asia 21J actually beats closer to the genuine Calibre 2500 movement than the 2824, and both of them will look equally wrong if you take the caseback off).

The newest Asian movements are just as (and in some cases more) reliable than the ETA stamped ones. If you ain't going to see it and the watch looks exactly the same (or more accurate) from the outside with it then take the Asian.

I think a well made 21j is a fine movement but I have had far more problems with them than the ETAs. Rotors falling off, winding stems pulling out, screws of unknown origin falling out....

I love the 12:00 snap date turn over in the ETAs

Of course, the ETA movements are assembled by the same "little elves in a hollow tree" but there must be higher qc on them.

but there must be higher qc on them

I would love to believe that but I'm not convinced the ETA's we see in some watches have been through any QC since assembly...

OTOH at least the world and his dog should be able to find spares and repair them...

Edited by NRG

For me I will take the 21J over the ETA for the money difference if the 21J is visually close. I have 3 21Js that are more than two years now and is very very close in accuracy with my atomic clock and never have any problem with them. Checkout Niel's Rolies offering, they are woth the money.

I would say it depends on the type of asian movement, if it was the seagull copy of the 2892, then go with it it has so far proved fantastic for me,if it was the myota copy then i would go for the ETA. I still find that a lot of omegas are adverised as having a 2892 ETA when in actual fact it is a seagull. No problem with the movement itsself just an advetising issue. and maybe pricing as well, a watch seagull should cost less than the same watch with a true 2892.

i have gone back and forth. So far i have owned or purchased for family probably 15 or so watches.

At first i went only eta. Now i'm going all asian because its cheaper. I have noticed with the asian (non-serviced) the winding is different the rotors feel different. - almost like they need oiling and service.

Now everyone seems to agree that even the eta movements don't come properly oiled. But i notice more grit with them.

I have not had any movements fail or break so far. I think its because i generally take care of them and don't put asians on a winder. I have a bunch of watches so most of them will sit for a week or 2 and get worn for a day.

But at the moment, i am moving tword used and asian watches. Trying to get the most bang for the buck.

For instance, i got a 177h from josh that was 188$. - i won't have it serviced. because for the same price i can get a new watch!!!

So, its a tossup. Some people have had issues with ETA's, some have had issues with Gen's

in fact the only watch in my collection that has failed so far is my Gen Movado SE. Quartz no less.

for what its worth. I'm going with asians till i find out that i shouldn't go with asians.

Swiss for me... Just personal preference. ETA is tried and true... The choice for a lot of watch brands to use as their base ebauche, and they work great.

Personally, I think you have to ask yourself if the watch is going to be a long term keeper, or short term user. If it's going to go the distance, get an ETA, as they can be serviced much more easily with parts available. If you're looking for something that you don't forsee holding on to as a keeper and price is a factor... An Asian 21j will do perfect for your needs.

At first i went only eta. Now i'm going all asian because its cheaper. I have noticed with the asian (non-serviced) the winding is different the rotors feel different. - almost like they need oiling and service.

Most of the 21J Asian autos are a copy of the Myota 8215??? which only winds in one direction where as the ETA and the copys of those movements ie the seagull wind in both directions, there for the winding and the rotors will feel different, if you are sensitve enough (i dont mean you cry at a chick flick) you would feel the resistance as the rotor moves in the winding direction on the asian but not in the oporsite direction.

First, I love threads like this because as somone who is still learning about the craft, the articulation of views from some truly expert members really stokes me (and yes, i need to find a healthier outlook for my 'stoking').

Some themes to the responses are consistent with my limited experience.. 1. both movements are very dependable... I have only had my SMP with the 21J for a couple of months but i gotta say the watch is awesome.. keeps great time, is relatively smooth, and for the money, you really cannot beat it. 2. It depends on the watch.. I agree with that as well.. Again, in my own limited experience, it is too much of a blanket statement to suggest that ETA movements are closer in authenticity to the gens... In some cases that is true in others it is not.. If you want a rep that is as close inside and out to the gen that may be the case..(although in a previous thread Pub has convincingly argued that the 21J movement on the SMP is closer to the gen in terms of BPS') but if you if you do not care what the inside of your watch looks like, for some models the 21j's just appear to me to be great buys.. again, depending on the specific watch)

Damn! I was hoping it would be more cut and dry!! :bangin:

I am looking at the PO and I believe most of the 42.5's are the same case ect.. but Andrew has one for $118 and PreciousTime has a great looking one for around $250. Thus the 2 movements. It makes it hard to decide since I want 1st an accurate rep and 2nd one that won't quit on me like my RWG1 did after the 1st day! :thumbdown:

Thanks for all the opinions but it may come down to whether I want both the Orange and the Black or just the Black!!

Thanks,

Gpuck B)