When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Six Hundred Ninety Seven Dollars

Nanuq

Crazy indeed. But, you have to remember who the clientele is that is willing to pay that much for a plastic crystal. These are the hardcore collectors (and sometimes dealers), who will go to no end to make sure that every watch within their collection is complete. The ones who usually have more money than they know what to do with anyways.

The vintage Rolex world is an odd and unusual place to be. There is a lot of passion, and ego within the ranks, which is superceded by a strong pursuit of having the most correct and complete vintage rarities that anyone has ever seen.

It's these same collectors and dealers who will buy a $105k 6239 PN Daytona (from the Mondani Collection) without batting an eye.

(edit to correct spelling errs ;) )

The vintage Rolex world is really crazy. Prices for genuine parts are just out the roof. Either they are spendig absurd amounts to make a watch 100% correct, or someone is hoarding parts toward the day when no RSC anywhere will touch a vintage.

To really understand those guys, spend a little time on the TZ Rolex Vintage watch forum. Incredible. They talk about offering 30k 40k for a watch like I spend 10 bucks for a Pizza!! Oe of the threads last week was about Red Subs, and it turns out one of the regular posters there had photo of his "Wearing Colection" of 9 Red Subs! He said he had more, along with many other vintage Rollies, however they are locked away in a bank vault. The guy doesn't sound like an egoist, I have seen him post very detailed answers to questions posed by newcomers to the board, it appears that he has one passion in life, collecting vintage Rolex watches. Strange world that we live in

Having said all this, I'm absolutely sure that if ihad the money, I would do exactly as that fellow does, pursue very high end very collectible watches. Probably good for me, I don't have the resources.

Funny thing... but for me the sport is not to have genuines.... I am sure genuines will not make me feel better... I like the fact that we try to be close for a fraction of the costs... the work in it is the challenge... the search.... and end up with something I like to look at.

If I had the resources I would still think it's simple and lacking fantasy of buying a gen. Then I would spent my money on helping others while wearing close reps. Am I strange or what? :animal_rooster: