When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1665 GW Options

omgiv

Hi Guys,

See all of those great 1665's the other has started another itch. I ordered one from puretime a few months ago but I am not really happy with it. The dial is the thing that bugs me the most. I am thinking that I would like to build a GWSD 1665. What exactly are my options as far as dials go. ETZ has GW dials but who knows what there status is right now. I looked at NDT but didn't see any. I would like to make it a good example with working HEV valve using a ETA 2846 movement. I may even invest in a 1570 and do it right. I am sorry for being so broad and open about this. I am just starting to think about it and what to check all of my option before I start. Any advice on a build of this sort would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any advice or opinions.

Welcome to the 1665 Sickness.

Yuki some decent, better than MBW whites last time I checked. There is also a decent "fool someone at arms length" Rail Dial version out on eBay.

Some have mentioned the "PT 1665" that you have with the 2846 movement has date window alignment issues, so heads up you may need to redo the overlay.

Thanks for the reply Ronin. I saw that rail dial you mention on eBay but the sharpness of the date window bothers me. NDT has an all white dial they say is a Mark I but it isn't a GW dial. I wish they made them since I like the quality. Does anyone have any pictures of Yuki's GW installed? The pictures on the site aren't very clear. I tried the silver date wheel from my puretime in my MBW 1680 and it did not line up. I found another overlay for that. I guess I will approach that step when I get there.

When you guys start on a project, what do you normally get first. Do you buy the case first or dial, movement, etc...? I am just don't want to get into the project and wish I had gone a different route and be hosed. Thanks again!!!!!

The NDT Mark I dial is actually supposed to be a "Fade to Pink" DRSD from what I can tell.

If I were starting a from scratch project. I would probably find the case and dial combo first / simultaneously. I guess if I found the perfect dial, I would start there as cases are easier to tweak.

the MBK dial is great stuff, here's my stock mbk white dial in an mbk project im currently working on

4614491078_687bfc0640.jpg

4614491138_7b40051997_o.jpg

YUKIs which def' has the better indices, the rest is very similar

_DSC0431.jpg

MBK is about 1/2 the price according to ETz cached site, once MBK reopens and i can regain contact with the shop owner I can get you prices on individual dial prices, until then nothing coming out of MBK for anybody

Thanks for the PM omgiv, I hadn't checked the other things he had for sale. IMO, you'd probably be better off staying away from him altogether. It looks like the rest of the stuff he's selling is a bunch of crap. I'm especially suspect of the "papers"

Btw, is it necessary to lume MBW dial? Thirty year old tritium markers aren't supposed to glow anymore, right?

The lume will range from none to slight glow. I have a pair of 60's dials and they still glow at a low level after being charged by the sun. But it is a low glow and it doesn't last too long.

I might have a 1665 MBW dial from ETZ for sale soon. I was in the process of building a watch and ordered several parts from ETZ, but looks like I'll only get the dial from them (I got it before they went quiet). I'm just waiting to see if another deal is still on and if so, I'll have the part for sale.

Thanks for the pictures and opinions guys!!! I am still on the fence with this one. I really like my 1680 but I wish that I had gone a step above and used a gen movement. That would have changed the price point drastically and taken longer, but I think that I would have been more happy in the end. That being said, I might just get the 1570 movement first. That way I am kind of stuck :) with what to do. About how much does a good 1570 go for? I saw a movement on timezone for about $1000 and have seen many 1500 series datejust's go for about that. I hate to cannibalize a good watch for a movement :(

Also, out of the available cases, who makes the most accurate (Yuki, JAW, NDT)? Thanks again for the pictures and advice!!!

Is it ETA 2846 same as ETA 2824? (the dial feet and window position.)

My link

If yes, no alignment and redo with this dial.

Welcome to the 1665 Sickness.

Yuki some decent, better than MBW whites last time I checked. There is also a decent "fool someone at arms length" Rail Dial version out on eBay.

Some have mentioned the "PT 1665" that you have with the 2846 movement has date window alignment issues, so heads up you may need to redo the overlay.