When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1570 Movement Question

omgiv

Hi Guys,

i think I have pretty much decided to go with a 1570 on my GWSD project. i know it will take a lot longer to fund, but I think that I will enjoy it more in the end. I know that there have been some problems when it comes to some 1570 calendar rings. I don't know if that goes for all of the cases or just the Yuki cases. I am leaning towards the NDT case but might be persuaded to use the JAW case if it is more accurate for a GW. My question is how to tell what calendar ring the movement has if it is a movement only. I believe that the 1500 series movement is what I want and that the 1600 is too big. I just don't know how to tell. Does anyone have any measurements or pictures? Thanks!!!

For guaranteed compatibility you want the FLAT ring like this (from 1500's. true TOOL Rolexs (1680, 1665, etc). Notice the 1/2 mm from the edge of the retaining ring and the base movement:

bbphl9qwkkgrhqeokiseq4l.jpg

bbphn8qb2kkgrhqeokkueq4.jpg

bbphpmqbwkkgrhqqokjgeq4.jpg

bbphtwbwkkgrhqqokiieq49.jpg

The others have a date ring that extends out further then SLOPES down at the outside edge for the pie-pan dials. YOU CAN USE THESE, but you will need to remove it and grind the sloped edge back with a Dremel or other tool. Notice how the slope extends almost to the edge of the base movement.

Here is the (less than optimal) sloped edge for comparison (from 160x DJs):

365043517o.jpg

The calendar ring is made for a specific movement, not the watch. In theory, the calendar ring on a standard 1575 (the '75' denotes the movement has a date complication) should fit any of the aftermarket cases made to fit a 1575. If you use a different movement, then you may run into problems.

You'll need one that is 26.6mm in diameter.

in Ronin's pics is of the GMT and is 27.20mm. That one won't fit as it will be too tall and the stem will not align.

It always cracks me up (not really) seeing sellers on eBay offering 1570's saying they are for 1680, 1665, etc when they are just pulls from 160X datejusts. They do not fit and they are just taking advantage of unsuspecting buyers.

Thanks for the comments Stilty. you don't happen to have a pic of one with a 26.6mm diameter do you? Also, does this one look correct? Thanks!!!

DSCN24990.jpg]

Is it me, or does the DW in your pics look like champagne gold? :p

And thanks Stilty for the info! :good:

Good catch Stilty, the pics I posted are for the 4 hand GMT (1675) 3 Ruby. So, yes that ring should be 'cut/ground' back even further.

I guess-- long story short, buy something in you budget be it 150x, 160x, TOOL 1680 1665, and worse case grind it back to fit.

I went the 1603 route, because I grabbed the whole watch for a deal, then took it to an AD and had the movement serviced while in the DJ case. I am not worried, and have the skills to pop the DW ring and grind it back as needed. In my case I have a serviced movement actually keeping COSC via an AD for LESS than what most people are selling RAW movements.

What WE REALLY NEED, is someone like JMB or Stilty ;) to create just these rings. Imagine the interchangeability options.

The seller did say that it was a silver date wheel. One last question, should a rail dial 1665 hack? I think that rail dials were about 5.7-6 mil serial numbers. Thanks!!!!

Yes. Mid-70's on up hacked. My 1974 DJ 1575 Hacks...

• 1 year later...