When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone Recently Bought a classic tri-compax Navitimer?

R0NiN

This is one of those usual posts. My wife is giving me a long desired tri-compax navitimer for Father's day. I was curious if anyone had purchased one recently, who you purchased it from, and why. I've read all the reviews, posts etc. and I think I've narrowed it down to 2 seller's (Joshua or Andrew) but I thought I'd ask first in case anyone had any insight with their own experience.

Thanks!

i think you're pretty safe buying from either joshua or andrew. between the two, it's just a personal preference question -- both provide a high level of service (both before and after purchase).

i bought a 6-9-12 navitimer from joshua in the past year, and it turned out just fine ;)

deltatahoe

I recently got a two tone tricompax and it's gorgeous (search through By-Tor's reviews, you'll find it there). It's in my opinion the most gorgeous watch ever made, but I have a Breitling fetish :) At 41.5mm, it is big enough but never looks gaudy or ostentatious. To be honest the Rolex sports watches are not my cup of tea at all, the slide rule, the symmetry of the sub-dials, the Navitimer is the epitome of sophisticated sports watches. Those ridiculous Super Avengers, 48mm dials, I'm not sure who that would suit.

And these... *shudders* AVERT YOUR EYES AT THE DESECRATION!

http://go2.wordpress.com/?id=725X1342&site=kingdiamondinc.wordpress.com&url=http%3A%2F%2Fkingdiamondinc.files.wordpress.com%2F2008%2F11%2F2hyhqhk3.jpg&sref=http%3A%2F%2Fkingdiamondinc.wordpress.com%2Fwatches%2F

Breitling Navitimer is the way to go. If you have a larger wrist, perhaps a Breitling Navitimer World, at 46mm that would sit just perfectly. But I think this pic by By-Tor sold me on the two-tone tricompax:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/uploads/remoteimages/148871-15190.jpg

For an everyday watch, the steel tricompax on a really good quality black croc deployant is probably my next GEN purchase the way to go, and can be had for about $250 depending on the dealer.

That's my $0.02.

Breitling Navitimer is the way to go. If you have a larger wrist, perhaps a Breitling Navitimer World, at 46mm that would sit just perfectly. But I think this pic by By-Tor sold me on the two-tone tricompax:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/uploads/remoteimages/148871-15190.jpg

Hehe... I loved the TT Navi. But when I took that picture the blood flow on my wrist was almost stopped. The bracelet fitted only a bit bigger than '7 wrist properly. I have a '8 wrist and I literally had to trade it away.

But I agree with you, it's a great TT rep. Probably the best I have seen. Many times I wish I still had it.

This is the review link. Damn, it's been 4 years since I wrote that... amazing how the time flies...

Cheers!

A Google search on Breitling Navitimers found that review from 2006, after reading it about a month ago and doing some investigating, I discovered this community of like-minded individuals and signed up to RWG, and theflyingdutchman had that very watch for sale in the forums, within a day of me signing up. It must have been fate :)

My first replica watch was the Navi TT (less than two weeks ago) and I followed that up with a sweet Rolex Daytona (Yellow Gold, waaay too much IMHO, but I'm sure someone a little older will be able to pull it off) and a White face Breitling Navi World on a brown croc which is on the way.

One could say By-Tor, that it is precisely because of that particular review that my wallet now is decidedly far lighter than it was less than a month ago :o)

On the issue of the watch itself, the reason I mentioned the Navi World is because the metal Gold/SS bracelet is quite tight at full extension. The Navi World is designed for a slightly larger wrist and would have a correspondingly larger bracelet (I assume). The Navi World looks a million bucks on a croc deployant anyway, making the choice easy.

On a proud note, I signed up to RWG VIP status today :)

Thanks for the input everyone, I might look at the world if I can find a rep in the blue version, the only issue I have with it is it doesn't have the contrasting white subdials which I really like, I have almost a 9" wrist so I pull off a big watch really well (as you can guess I'm not a small guy). The two-tone is gorgeous but I want an everyday and already have a TT Submariner. The tricompax I fell in love with was at the Las Vegas Tourneau Store, SS bracelet, lighter blue face with stick markings, so I want an SS Blue with Stick still, just wanted to know where people had gone but now I'll have to see if I can find a blue world! Thanks again. Feel free to leave more input.

Edited by R0NiN

@Ronin - I've seen some blue Worlds at the various dealers, it depends on how adventurous you want to be, and the bracelets are completely interchangeable in about a minte flat with the right tool, but a Blue World on a blue croc would look really hot! The thing is, as you're looking for a daily wearer a SS bracelet is highly recommended, but if you switched it out on the weekend for the croc, mmm mmm mmm. BOB straps do an amazing selection, feedback is very impressive AND they're a bargain. Something to consider. You can get calfskin, croc AND sharkskin. I got all three just to see what the different materials were like.

@By-Tor - wait till you see this Navi on a black croc... ;o)

@Ronin - shop around, I was looking through the various dealers randomly last night (Aus time) and found huge differences in price, from 248 all the way to 328. I'm almost certain they all come from the same place, so I suggest a quick comparison before purchase.

Funny how so many people join this forum to buy a Navitimer as their introduction into reps. I suppose it's like starting at the pinnacle and working your way down... ;)

Subbies, I see that you found your own thread to discuss the questions in, before I got around to it. :lol:

I am brand spanking new to this game, as I only joined rep forums in late March and bought my first rep in April (and you thought your wallet was light! :D). So I don't have much of a reportoir of photos to post yet; you'll just have to make do with some basic wrist shots.

I started right at the top, purchasing a Navi World from PureTime...

post-28306-062505500 1275860723_thumb.jp

I have a 7 3/4" wrist, so it's not exactly small, but you can see the Nave World fits me just fine. Not what I'd call a weekend watch, though. What I have been wearing a lot on the weekends is this:

post-28306-049275800 1275860975_thumb.jp

..so you can see, I arrived at much the same conclusion as most of the rest of you, a tricompax on leather (mine happens to be calf).

I'm being called right now, more later...

Edited by BNWMan

Funny how so many people join this forum to buy a Navitimer as their introduction into reps. I suppose it's like starting at the pinnacle and working your way down... ;)

Back again... I've been lusting after the Navitimer World for about 10 years. I have loved Breitlings in general for many years, but I despaired of ever being able to afford one. Recently I became aware of reps, but I was wary of sending a couple hundred off to some unknown address in China (rightly so, it seems). So it wasn't until I descovered the rep hobby and associated forums that I found dealers that I could trust. And as you can see by my sig, it's been a busy April and May (two more on the way, by the way)...

So the last two of my Navi acquisitions have been the Serie Speciale and the Montbrillant Datora. The Serie Speciale was on my list because of the fighters back, and when one came upi on one of the forums I jumped on it (silly me, I neglected to take any photos of watch backs. I will remedy that shortly). I would really rather have a white dial/black subdial version, anyone want to trade?

post-28306-023711000 1275866363_thumb.jp

Finally, my new friend in Norway sold me what's been my second favorite Navi, the Montbrillant Datora. I just love the busy complexity of it's dial; kinda almost wish it was a 46 or even 48mm face, the better to show off all it's detail...

post-28306-015399900 1275866383_thumb.jp

As I told subbies earlier in another thread, I guess I have no taste, since I would wear any of these on any band under (well almost) any dress conditions. Maybe I'll become more refined as I learn to wear a fine watch more properly... :rofl:

Back again... I've been lusting after the Navitimer World for about 10 years. I have loved Breitlings in general for many years, but I despaired of ever being able to afford one. Recently I became aware of reps, but I was wary of sending a couple hundred off to some unknown address in China (rightly so, it seems). So it wasn't until I descovered the rep hobby and associated forums that I found dealers that I could trust. And as you can see by my sig, it's been a busy April and May (two more on the way, by the way)...

So the last two of my Navi acquisitions have been the Serie Speciale and the Montbrillant Datora. The Serie Speciale was on my list because of the fighters back, and when one came upi on one of the forums I jumped on it (silly me, I neglected to take any photos of watch backs. I will remedy that shortly). I would really rather have a white dial/black subdial version, anyone want to trade?

post-28306-023711000 1275866363_thumb.jp

Finally, my new friend in Norway sold me what's been my second favorite Navi, the Montbrillant Datora. I just love the busy complexity of it's dial; kinda almost wish it was a 46 or even 48mm face, the better to show off all it's detail...

post-28306-015399900 1275866383_thumb.jp

As I told subbies earlier in another thread, I guess I have no taste, since I would wear any of these on any band under (well almost) any dress conditions. Maybe I'll become more refined as I learn to wear a fine watch more properly... :rofl:

Wow that last line didn't make me sound at all like an [censored] :)

What I meant was, it seems rather incongruous that a man of incredibly refined horological taste (such as your good self BNWMAN) wouldn't have a similar dress sense. Women, by the way, spot this stuff a mile away, I've come to notice, in my relatively short but rather colourful life to date :)

That white World looks gorgeous... The Datora also, and I couldn't have agreed more that if they made it a 47mm instead of a 44mm, it would have been a heap better, with the current trends in watches. I might be alone in this thought, but the idea of the Breitling for Bentley series seems so gaudy. The Navi series is just... perfect? I've had a look at all of the Rolex Subs (which seem to be incredibly popular), the PAMs also have an interesting utilitarian appeal, but the Navi has its own particular charm. The new 2010 Chrono is a step back in my opinion.

Hard to explain something so subjective, but I think you guys get what I mean :)

Wow that last line didn't make me sound at all like an [censored] :)

What I meant was, it seems rather incongruous that a man of incredibly refined horological taste (such as your good self BNWMAN) wouldn't have a similar dress sense. Women, by the way, spot this stuff a mile away, I've come to notice, in my relatively short but rather colourful life to date :)

No offense taken; I meant my comment to be a poke at my own lamentable lack of sartorial sense. I guess I'm just plane lazy when it comes to clothes, which probably follows from being too broke to afford wardrobe items to match the timepieces anyway. :lol:

And believe me, the most difficult aspect of wearing reps for me has been the philosophical conflict of presenting what appears to be a $6000 timepiece on a $29.95 guy otherwise to the world. Which makes me simultaneously proud and sheepish about the watches in the presence of the aforementioned females, whose fashion radar I'm all to aware of.

That white World looks gorgeous... The Datora also, and I couldn't have agreed more that if they made it a 47mm instead of a 44mm, it would have been a heap better, with the current trends in watches. I might be alone in this thought, but the idea of the Breitling for Bentley series seems so gaudy. The Navi series is just... perfect? I've had a look at all of the Rolex Subs (which seem to be incredibly popular), the PAMs also have an interesting utilitarian appeal, but the Navi has its own particular charm. The new 2010 Chrono is a step back in my opinion.

Hard to explain something so subjective, but I think you guys get what I mean :)

Thanks; I just wish the quality on these Navis (especially the World) were up to the most recent rep standards. I'd never risk trying to pass of one of these Navis as gen in front of a true expert in the field, but the PO and 3717 I have both would give me no qualms to wear in an AD establishment, provided I could muster the clothing to sell the illusion also... :D

Edited by BNWMan