When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Latest views on reps

Having gone through this forum extensively, I was struggling to find the latest views on:

1. Which reps at this point in time are the most accurate to the gen

2. What new reps are coming out soon which are likely to improve on the accuracy of previous models

I have also come to understand that just because a revised rep is coming out, it does not mean that it is going to be more accurate, and in some cases less so. What I don't get though is why? Most of the reps I have seen have fantastic movements and very accurate compared with the gen. To go through all of that trouble and to then use the wrong font, font spacing, or logo (eg. happy feet on the Omega) - any thoughts on why?

Sorry if you feel this is all covered elsewhere, but, a June view as we enter the summer months in EU would be welcomed.

I am particularly partial to the UPO and Breitling SOSF - are these among the top 5 accurate and high quality reps out there?

Thanks in advance to you all.

You know what, I'm sure the amount of writing on the topics (due to popularity) probably infers that the PO and SOSF rep are in the top five. But in my nearly year long experience (which is nothing, but enough to learn a little and read a lot) this is not actually the case for accuracy to gen.

You've got all the Sinns, the SOH V2 and some other Breits, the FM's, a couple MB's that I know for a fact that are more 'accurate' to gen than the PO and SOSF. There are probably many more. I hear good things about some vintages and even the tag Calibre1 is super accurate.

Perhaps its that the the UPO and SOSF are sooo popular that they've been picked to shreds but it seems regardless of their popularity there are many many reps more accurate out there...

Just touching on one point of your post. I'll let the experts touch on the others.

Replica revisions are not always from the same maker, and are referred to as version "Vxx" simply for the sake of clarity. So ... you have one factory making the original watch, and another designer/factory making the next version. You see? So revisions don't mean improvements in quality or accuracy. They just mean it's a new iteration of the watch.

As for what forthcoming watch releases will improve upon existing models? No one can know except the designer/maker. It's all very secret. There are no "spy photos" of new models in the replica world. The rep makers just don't care for this kind of promotion. When it arrives, it arrives .. and it is what it is. They simply want you to buy a watch; it's not their aim or desire to create a perfect replica. Just one good enough to sell to you.

One notable exception is "George" (WM9) .. he does, in fact, post preview images of developing projects in order to drum up pre-order sales .. people can place deposits with him to reserve early production units and lock in LARGE discounts over the final pricing. Sometimes over 1 YEAR in advance. But his factory does not represent the industry as a whole.

To answer your last question, you can not really go wrong with a UPO or a "swiss" SOSF. You will be very pleased (barring unforeseen QC issues) and that's all anyone needs to say.

With an sosf.. you can't complain about anything being "inaccurate". Granted.. once you start collecting I think you'll start to notice.. that some of the watches that most attract you, aren't necessarily the most accurate ones out of the box. I'm a HUGE fan of the sosf, and honestly think it's the MOST accurately repped watch to date, but having said that I don't wear it nearly enough! I wear my pam253, DSSD and choparch GTXL MUCH more than my breitling. Don't ask me why, but for some reason..

Deadly accurate doesn't always equate to a lot of wrist time when you have 20 watches to choose from. You just want the one that looks best to put on at the moment

Thanks to you all for your posts....

JKay - very helpful and informative. Guess I was showing my 'newness' to the rep world thinking that there might be a list of watches coming up / buyer requests going to the factories. I also assumed that new versions were indeed new versions - your explanation makes a lot of sense which has now got me thinking about which version to source (particularly of the UPO - which would be the best version to aim for?)

With an sosf.. you can't complain about anything being "inaccurate". Granted.. once you start collecting I think you'll start to notice.. that some of the watches that most attract you, aren't necessarily the most accurate ones out of the box. I'm a HUGE fan of the sosf, and honestly think it's the MOST accurately repped watch to date, but having said that I don't wear it nearly enough! I wear my pam253, DSSD and choparch GTXL MUCH more than my breitling. Don't ask me why, but for some reason..

Deadly accurate doesn't always equate to a lot of wrist time when you have 20 watches to choose from. You just want the one that looks best to put on at the moment

plaifender - how very true. I have:

1. a gen Omega Seamaster which gets daily work use, but is getting a little too marked through continual weekday use and would like to moderate the wear and also have a second work-watch.

2. a Pam 111h ultimate from DSN on a Kain Heritage strap which gets weekend use (the Kain strap is amazing, though I am tempted for a gen Panerai even though in the pics the patterned leathers look a little fancy and the plain a little boring) - any thoughts on gen PAM straps would be welcomed

3. a rep Navitimer (from Josh) which hardly gets worn (maybe one day every 3 months). Even though the Navitimer is probably quite an accurate rep version, I just don't wear it much. I guess it is completely down to what feels and looks right for the individual.

With the Pam and Breitling I jumped straight in and bought the same day as looking. I am agonising over the Omega as I am an Omega fan and love the gen Seamaster. My concern is buying a UPO not being happy due to the differences with the real thing - I will then spend the next few months focusing on replacing it with a gen which is a whole different conversation I will need to have with my wife.

I had a good deal offered to me from Precious Time on a UPO with Rubber and SS straps and sent a PM to buy. After sending the PM to confirm my purchase all went quiet and I have not heard back from PT. I have dropped PT a few more PM's and will wait to see if he comes back. I should imagine that he has a fair few to get through, however, I did want to check if anyone knows if he is away / how often he frequents RWG?

On the off-chance he is not able to, or would prefer not to, complete the transaction with me, are there other dealers in the UK / EU who deal with the UPO and if so are you able to advise. I also had a PM with Murph - great guy - who is selling a UPO for a great price and I would love to deal, but, coming from the States would concern me with customs and duty - any thoughts on shipping from States to UK?

Sincere thanks in advance

Edited by glassreplica

I'd aim for a clone ETA movement in your UPO. They are virtually identical to the Swiss originals and less expensive. If you wear it for a couple of months and still feel it's a great watch, then have it serviced to ensure it's longevity.

Have tried PM'ing PT on this site and have also been to ptswiss and dropped him a note through there (two weeks back) but still heard nothing. Is ptswiss still in business, should I expect him take a while to respond and allow more time? Should I move on to considering a different source for this watch?

Thanks for any advice.

Email the dealer "Watch International" ... tell her you want a Planet Ocean Ultimate with asian ETA clone movement and the color you need. She will take good care of you. Ask for approval photos before shipment.

Thanks Jkay, though I don't know 'Watch Interational' and have not used them before - where can I find their details?

Has anyone else got recommendations on the best UPO dealers within the EU (I am UK based and want to avoid customs issues). May try PTswiss again as maybe my he is having problems picking up messages at the moment. PT - if you happen to be on the board feel free to drop me a PM if you are interested in completing the deal on the UPO?

Cheers.

Edited by glassreplica