When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is there a way to differentiate between the Swiss and Asian PAM GMT reps?

tedbearz

i don't think it is possible...i have the 029 with asian mvt...case and dial are the same...the only thing that maybe could be different is the crown guard, but i am not sure...

now, i am really interested to see an answer from an expert...

Of course you can easily see and feel the difference, but have to have it in your hands.

The asian movement allows the GMT-hand to set the GMT time smooth and easy with.

The swiss ETA movement sets the GMT-hand by jumping in 1-hour steps, the GMT-hand will allways equal the normel minutes shown with the minutes hands. So minute hand and GMT-hand are coordinated, on the asian movement you can set the time only correct when showing the full hour.

Hard to explain, hope I come through to you.

Cheers,

Theo

P.S.: Wow, post # 1 at RWGII

the easiest way is to look at the casebacks. the asian gmt caseback is wrong for a couple of reasons:

1) it has more depth to accommodate the thicker movement.

2) the production numbers on the caseback are incorrect.

here are some pictures to illustrate.

first, the 2893-2 swiss:

9037-5169.jpg

next, the 2836 swiss:

9037-5170.jpg

finally, the asian 21J:

9037-5171.jpg

the attatched file is a pic of a gen 29B caseback. hope i've been some help.

one foot note: i just noticed that the pic of the 2892-2 rep caseback is incorrect, but this is not the case for mine. my 2892-2 rep has the back in picture #2, which is identical to gen (also my # is somewhat unique, b072/500). it could be a dealer discrepancy, since these photos are from josh, and i got my gmt from eddie. also, i've opened the back to verify the proprer movt. lies inside.

post-337-1143003610_thumb.jpg

Edited by robideaux

I've been told that the factory has stopped producing PAM 029 s and 063s with ETA 2893-2 movement, so get them while you still can!

Guest overboosted
Of course you can easily see and feel the difference, but have to have it in your hands.

The asian movement allows the GMT-hand to set the GMT time smooth and easy with.

The swiss ETA movement sets the GMT-hand by jumping in 1-hour steps, the GMT-hand will allways equal the normel minutes shown with the minutes hands. So minute hand and GMT-hand are coordinated, on the asian movement you can set the time only correct when showing the full hour.

Cheers,

Theo

This is all you need!

i just got my 2893-2 063 from EL yesterday and it has the 100/500 caseback.

me too! Hope EL just changed the case-back for better accuracy!

Cheers,

Theo

Do you know if there is a difference between the 2893 and the 2836 version ?

Regards

Edited by tescardo

The ETA movement will "wind better", when setting the time one revolution of the crown = approx one revolution of the minute hand, with the asian movements generally the gearing is alot higher and the minute hand will do nearly two revolutions for one revolution of the crown.

The GMT hand setting on asian movements is normally rather jerky to where as on the ETA its smooth and precise.

The ETA movement will "wind better", when setting the time one revolution of the crown = approx one revolution of the minute hand, with the asian movements generally the gearing is alot higher and the minute hand will do nearly two revolutions for one revolution of the crown.

The GMT hand setting on asian movements is normally rather jerky to where as on the ETA its smooth and precise.

Thx Davey,

do you also know, if the 2836 is also jumping in 1-hour steps like the 2893.

Regards

Edited by tescardo

modifed 2836 SHOULD NOT jump in steps, they are modified to run directly from the drive for the day mechanism which is a smooth, I would assume 2893 is the same, but I've not actually seen a GMT 2893.

On the 2893, the GMT hand does in fact "jump" when adjusted, but them moves smoothly as it keeps time.

Climb on.

Do you know if there is a difference between the 2893 and the 2836 version ?

Regards

The 2893 is a true GMT movt (and power reserve with an added module). The 2836 has day and date and is not designed to be a GMT but is adapted by fitting a hand to the day wheel - does the same job but not as well as a proper GMT movt. If you can get the 2893 it is a must.