When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

lume is overrated...

gimme

To each their own...be it lume, servicing, waterproofing, AR, whatever...just cause you don't like it, doesn't mean it's not appreciated by others.

They have been applying lume to watches for over 70 years, and Super Luminova has been around for almost 50 years.

If it was overrated, wouldn't you think that Rolex, Omega, Breitling, and all the other genuine manufacturer's, would stop putting "L Swiss L" on their dials and save money by omitting the lume.

History proves that lume is here to stay, not everyone can appreciate it, that's all.

Just like not everyone appreciates mechanical watches vs quartz watches. A friend has an atomic linked LCD watch, thinks I am crazy, I think he's nuts...to each their own...

For me the only watch I think IS well worth luming is the Panerai.... Now the only reason I say this is not because of night time use but rather its quite an easy tell in daylight.

I have had a number of gens Lings, Omegas, Pams and IWC except for the PAMs none of them had lume to shout about even at night...... but the lume on a gen PAM dial lights up even in daylight. Say your out in the sun (just English sun now) and you walk back inside the PAM is glowing, its even the same if your by a window and walk back into the centre of a bright room you can see the different colouration from the dial face.

You only have to look at numerous PAM pics to see even in daylight the rep lume can be a tell just as much if not more than the AR. I say that because AR on Pams vary in strength and colour so unless you are pretty knowledgeable then the AR from the Xtal is not an easy tell unless its that crappy rep AR.

The lume colour on the dial is: even to a pretty unknowlegeable person, an easy tell at distance. The PAM dials do significantly change in daylight. The only guys who I have seen master this is Vac, Zig, and the master himself and at the moment his name completely escapes me though he is used by members here his name isnt mentioned often, but his lume is awesome. Someone help me on that name please!!!!! (He is a septic over the pond)

I cant say if other gens are like the PAM other than the ones I mention but I can say a lume on a PAM is an absolute must if you are modding. Even the EL and LH s really need the lume touch and those lumes are good 100% better than rep lumes and yet still not good enough. DSN to an extent has a good lume but can be wrong in colour...

In addition if you set aside the way the PAM lume reacts in sunlight then there is still the problem of the markers, indices and numerals being the wrong colour even when not charged commonly there wrong ie Green instead of white, white instead of creamish etc etc

So as for PAMs lume is an absolute must if you dont want an easy call out.....

Quick pic of example of a 2 reps a gen and a franken with lumes done by certain guys. All same charge in daylight. The pic really doesnt do the differences justice in real life but you get the idea

God what is that guys name...!!!!!! Remind me guys please.....

Depends on the watch it's replicating for me.

Don't think I'll bother reluming, say... the Tag Calibre 1 as the gen has weak lume anyway. The PO on the hand, IMO, needs it because the gen is radioactive. All omegas are. I can read books by my 2004 gen moonwatch and its lume areas are minimal.

So, for most of my reps, prolly not, but for some it's a must.

Edit: As mush as i love mechanicals, I also own an atomic^^ digital (gshock) watch. It's awesome. Most accurate watch in the world. I use it to set my mechanicals.

The lume colour on the dial is: even to a pretty unknowlegeable person, an easy tell at distance. The PAM dials do significantly change in daylight. The only guys who I have seen master this is Vac, Zig, and the master himself and at the moment his name completely escapes me though he is used by members here his name isnt mentioned often, but his lume is awesome. Someone help me on that name please!!!!! (He is a septic over the pond)

God what is that guys name...!!!!!! Remind me guys please.....

Flav?

Fleed?

Ronald MCDonald??? ;)

At last..... Parksie at Everest!!!! What a donut I is!!!

But it was worth it cause while I was searching I found a forum that was just about luming!!! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

it is pure function for me, i would not buy a car or a bike with no headlights, maybe it is the 24 years of military service and i have had to read the time in the dark but function all the time is important

And in some cases, the improvement is impressive.

Here's some recent lume work I did.

This looks so much better than it did when it arrived, like night and day...not only does it glow a beautiful blue, it looks better in daylight because of the lume dots and their shape and finish.

Wow!

WOW amazing work as usual The Zigmeister.. those round dots are each a work of art.

Now i'm so hesitant to post my own lumed hands. But the purpose is just to show the difference btw rep lume and C1 lume of the Sinn U2 hands

Daylight shot

Sinnlumeday.jpg

Night shot

sinnlumenight.jpg

And in some cases, the improvement is impressive.

Here's some recent lume work I did.

This looks so much better than it did when it arrived, like night and day...not only does it glow a beautiful blue, it looks better in daylight because of the lume dots and their shape and finish.

Pure art, I have started doing lume work on my own watches and it is not easy to say the least but to get such perfect shape and texture, Ziggy i take my hat off and offer you a beer!

I've never relumed a watch.. probably never will. I never look at my watches at night... and I'm always in well-lit places.. I dont think the price value ratio convinces me enough :)

Wait untill you are my age :whistling:

Waking up every couple of hours, some need of the bathroom twice a night, ...

I used to feel the same... then I picked up a PAM 111 in the sales forums that was lumed by The Zigmeister. My 1st day wearing it on my way to work I almost hit the car in front of me in a tunnel because I was staring at how bright the lume was. It was mesmerizing.

On some watches it is worth doing, on others not so much, and if it's done well it really is a work of art

I've pretty much always been satisfied with out of the box lume on my watches (some have been better than others) and also satisfied with the luminous properties of NightColor paint. I don't need a dial to glow like a torch and light the room, but I do need to be able to read it in the dark... After a while, the eye adapts to the darkness anyway, so even weak lume can be clearly visible once the eye has adapted :)

I used to feel the same... then I picked up a PAM 111 in the sales forums that was lumed by The Zigmeister. My 1st day wearing it on my way to work I almost hit the car in front of me in a tunnel because I was staring at how bright the lume was. It was mesmerizing.

On some watches it is worth doing, on others not so much, and if it's done well it really is a work of art

Oh great, just great...I can hear the lawyers rubbing their hands together...

Now I am going to have to include a disclamer with each lume, stating that I am not responsible for any accidents caused by staring at the lume while driving in dark places...

:)

Oh great, just great...I can hear the lawyers rubbing their hands together...

Now I am going to have to include a disclamer with each lume, stating that I am not responsible for any accidents caused by staring at the lume while driving in dark places...

:)

biggrin.gif...