When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pilot's Cabin or Executive Suite?

freddy333

Wow! That bracelet finish is superb!!! That is such a beautiful piece Freddy. I am very, very jealous!! That is by far my ultimate Holy Grail watch!

Thank you. It really is 1 of the most beautiful watches I have ever seen, so I can understand why people are so taken with it. I cannot understand why Rolex never produced a retail version of the 6542 with a white dial. The combination of white dial, red & black Perspex insert & beveled crystal makes this watch look clean, fresh & decidedly modern (especially for the staid 50s & early 60s).

The bracelet is gen, so its finish ought to be superb (but I may swap it out for the same early 1960s gen jubilee that I have on my Phase I GMT - not sure yet). And you are not the only 1 who considers it the ultimate grail watch. An Italian (gen) watch club has already sent me a handful of kudos. :whistling:

A special thanks has to go to By-Tor, who convinced me (almost 3 years ago) of the need to add a GMT-Master to my collection. Prior to that, I never liked the GMT, with its 'clown-like' colored bezel. However, once By-Tor's reviews started to have their effect on the WIS part of my brain, I came around & it was only after a couple of false-starts attempting to procure a credible non-ceramic GMTII that I decided to embark on the road less traveled (the Perspex path), which, ultimately, resulted in the creation of a true grail watch. So, thanks, By-Tor. :drinks:

• 2 years later...

Inspiring project Freddy I have found myself looking through Stefano Mazzariol blog looking at the pics of the white dial and the story behind it.

I started looking for a dial and an insert to build a project around.

Then you go and build one, I find the white dial you have looks incredible.

This is what the hobby is all about building what cannot be bought.

I just noticed this thread started two years ago. Freddy is there any chance you can put a link in your signature to all your threads ala LHOOQ's thread repository.

You have an amazing ability to take photos and your projects are fantastic.

Edited by Red Series 3

• 3 years later...

Never saw this thread. Thanks for bumping it. I have seen lots of pics of your beautiful Pan Am 6542 and it is one of my favorite builds on any forum.

I have had some parts for a 6542 build for a while now, but still have not found a white dial I really like. Sooner or later I will source one and move forward with the build.

Thanks for the motivation.

Awesome watch!