When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM Homage getting sliced

asahi

HI Guys :drinks:

I love the PAM 111 but dont have the $$$ to buy the real thing. I love the design and rather than buying a rep I decided to go with a Homage. I'm sure rep vs homage debate has been going on for a while. I would rather not be "called out" for a rep but rather peek someone interest if I was rocking a luminor homage.

I was informed by my brother in law that his friend who own GENS wanted to help me out. I thought oh sh*t! He's going to give me one or for practically a steal? Right? Uh .. No LOL! He actually had a homage custom assembled for me.

I"m talking fully loaded with swiss eta 6497 movement. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I was ecstatic but will have to now pretend to be surprised when I receive this gift. What a lovely gift. Then I saw the following you tube clip. OMG!

Its appears to be a starter watch that most likely cost $90. What's this guy problem? Does he think rep/homage= fake. There were some interesting comments left on this clip. He must own gen PAMs no?

I was told that my watch will look like the on in the clip but of higher quality all around. I showed the clip to my brother in law and he confirmed this. I'd appreciate your feedback. I thought a homage were ok. :wounded1:

Wow, that's a disturbing video. It really is a waste, and I don't quite understand what he's trying to prove. One nice homage destroyed like that isn't going to prove anything. That guy definitely has some issues :bangin: I would much rather have seen him give it away to some bum on the street than to destroy it like that. :yuk:

Personally, I don't think there is anything wrong with homages... they are a great way to start especially when testing the waters to see if you like PAMs or not. They're also a great starter watch to practice on manual wind movements. I started out with homages, and have since upgraded to reps and even a gen PAM in my collection. After all these years it seems like it is a natural progression.

Good luck, be sure to show us some pics when you get your homage :victory:

Edited by dleerious

Well......look on the bright side.....did you see how tough that Mother 111 is? Did see how long it took him to cut through the crystal, the bezel.....the dial........???? Now I have more respect for the homages and the Reps! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Yep, I like homages. Done properly they are a 'homage' (hence the title) to a great item and not a replication. They show more respect to the item than reps that is for sure.

Will be interested to hear more about your homage if the deets are forthcoming (maybe not if a gift). I don't know of any pam homage makers that actually use swiss movements but I'd like to.

The guy is the biggest tool in that video.

Also, I like your nick... Asahi is the best beer in the world!

Noooooo, what a waste!!

I can't stand to see wanton waste when something that's perfectly good could be used for something else or passed on.

Especially when it's just someone with too much money buying something to ruin just to 'prove a point'. <_<