When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Aftermarket 1016 Tiffany Dial: Feedback Sought

lhooq

I got this rep 1016 dial from eBay not long ago. I would appreciate any reactions from the Explorer experts here to help me decide whether to use this or a Yuki matte dial (that I have not yet purchased) on an upcoming project. Please try to ignore all the white fuzz on the dial as bathroom tissue paper was cleverly used as packing material:

912118560_fXshb-X3.jpg

Here's my preemptive auto-critique:

-Up top, ROPE is a bit spaced out; coronet's too big and too high above the Rolex 'L'.

-Numerals and sticks a bit thin and maybe a bit too long?

-Pleasing yellow color and texture on the sticks/numerals.

-Clear print quality on the text and minute marks. All serifs present.

-In the lower half, good positioning and spacing on the SCOC. Serifs might be a tad overdone.

And now the big, so-far-unmentioned elephant in the room: Has anyone ever seen a 'Tiffany & Co" that looked like that i.e. caps with an underlined 'o'? If someone can find me an example, it would make me feel much better!

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments, all. From my past research, I've only ever seen 'Tiffany & Co.' printed per the example freddy posted. As far as I know, other variants (as seen on the Subs, Daytonas, &c.) never made it onto the Explorer dial, and none of these other variants looked like the one on mine. I've also been checking old advertisements and products to see if 'Tiffany & Co.' has appeared in a similar form (the underline 'o' suggests an older style), but no luck so far.

But I bought it anyway! I've been paying a lot to satisfy my curiosity lately.

• 1 year later...

Yuki has a 5500 dial with a similar Tiffany script as in the OP. It's not one of Yuki's better ones.

NDT's Tiffany dial is very good: 'Tiffany & Co.' is rendered correctly, while fonts and markings are a good match with mid-70s Explorer dials. Pricey at $300, though.

• 3 months later...