When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Too many trashy replicas for sale ?

gran

I do not want to offend anyone, but RWG members are know for buying high quality replicas and not the trashy cheap ones

Is it only the poor picture quality that make some of the offered watches from some dealers look cheap or are they as the pictures and price indicates simply low quality reps?

It is great that dealers are active posting their sales here, far to little of it actually. However I think the qualities of the pictures are not that great sometimes and many of the watches seem to be cheap and very low grade to me.....and there is nothing I hate more than cheap replicas. I know the price is very very low and so no problems with that at all, we get the best prices so very happy about that.

Example in picture from watceden below:

1.jpg

What informed RWG member would buy something like this with a silly looking Faux (=fake) tourb?

Is it only me that think so? am I way out of line? or is this a topic worth discussing at all?

Possible solution: Post the quality watches and pictures

Happy timekeeping

Gunnar :drinks:

at least it doesn't look like its been used in a construction yard... (its a shocking photo as I am sure you wouldn't get the watch in that state)

45927342.jpg

but its just a diffrent market of watch buyers, for instance my dad only really uses $100 rolex's try and get him to up grade hes not having it, hes happy with them...

they are nasty....but there must be a market out there

Yes agreed, but shouldent the owner(s) of RWG advice the dealers to advertise primarily their quality replicas on RWG?

And how are the dealers gonna get the needed feedback if we can not post in their offers and describe what may be improved?

Happier Timekeeping

Gunnar :)

The amount of $100 Tat coming out at them moment is like nothing I've seen. Every day there seems to be some god awful new POS, its really odd because for the last 2 years its all been like the high end $500 stuff Hublots and Sec@12 AP's which were too expensive to get too many of and now we've gone to the other extreem all quartz and fake Tourbies ITA MAKES NOSENSE

Yes agreed, but shouldent the owner(s) of RWG advice the dealers to advertise primarily their quality replicas on RWG?

And how are the dealers gonna get the needed feedback if we can not post in their offers and describe what may be improved?

Happier Timekeeping

Gunnar :)

To be honest, I doubt feedback on the quality of the watches (other than quality of if it functions or not) is something which dealers can act upon with the makers to get improved.

Also, with regard your comment about the watch with the faux tourbillon, I rather like the black-dialled DateJust available with the cut out on the dial which shows the balance wheel swirling away :) Sure, it's by no means accurate, but it does look fun :lol: As with everything, it's just a matter of personal taste :drinks:

To be honest, I doubt feedback on the quality of the watches (other than quality of if it functions or not) is something which dealers can act upon with the makers to get improved.

I can see that the dealers have little influence on the factories....unfortunately

But the dealers do decide what they offer and what they offer on these fora

I expect them to do what they can to get the best replicas to our attention

my point is that we should advice them to post primarily their quality pieces on RWG (I am not saying that one should ban posting of low grade replicas for sale)...but that the dealers should realize that posting too may of those will drive quality inclined buyers (typical RWG member) far away from them....and into the arms of Mary and the like....the message that quality matters has to be heard and RWG should lead the way toward that goal :drinks:

I think you also need to consider the economies that are poor and where watches are only known by name. I wont name countries but it doesnt take much thought to identify them.

As with any high street you have the Harrods and the 50p shops. People shop where they can afford and/or buy what they like for personal choice.

We are lucky that alot of us here benefit from a higher standard of living so our options are better than a lot of peoples who aspire to good watches and or accurate reps.

In addition some people buy the Fuglies because they like the bling or the ridiculousness of it Most dont know its nothing like a gen model but it looks the part to them. Afterall I can recall just how many noob posts we see with some horrendous reps and the question....How accurate is this? Can I mod it?

I think you also need to consider the economies that are poor and where watches are only known by name. I wont name countries but it doesnt take much thought to identify them.

Are you talking about RWG members? :p

I can see that the dealers have little influence on the factories....unfortunately

But the dealers do decide what they offer and what they offer on these fora

I expect them to do what they can to get the best replicas to our attention

my point is that we should advice them to post primarily their quality pieces on RWG (I am not saying that one should ban posting of low grade replicas for sale)...but that the dealers should realize that posting too may of those will drive quality inclined buyers (typical RWG member) far away from them....and into the arms of Mary and the like....the message that quality matters has to be heard and RWG should lead the way toward that goal :drinks:

Ahh, yes, I see what you mean there, in that they should offer the best of what's available :) I think it depends on how much of their sales demographic really comes via the forums, rather than 'google hits'. As collectors, forum members are more likely to be more critical have more discerning taste, than someone who just thinks "That's a nice watch..." (to whatever watch they see :lol: ) so indeed, if the forums are providing the majority of their business, then it would be better for them to tailer their collections to that market. On the other hand, given that there is so much drop-shipping, it's not a case of them having bought stock and not shifting it, so it doesn't matter to them if they advertise the 'less than excellent watches' as well as the good stuff :) On the theme, the other day I actually looked at WatchEden's Hublot selection, and they have got quite a range of nice quartz watches. Maybe not to everyone's taste, but certainly ideal for some, infact, I'm planning on getting one each for my best friend and his wife for when they're next over from Tokyo. Given the need for punctuality, he needs quartz accuracy, and I remember he asked if I'd heard of 'Hub Lots' last time we spoke, so that might well be the ideal watch for the purpose :)

Ahh, yes, I see what you mean there, in that they should offer the best of what's available :) I think it depends on how much of their sales demographic really comes via the forums, rather than 'google hits'. As collectors, forum members are more likely to be more critical have more discerning taste, than someone who just thinks "That's a nice watch..." (to whatever watch they see :lol: ) so indeed, if the forums are providing the majority of their business, then it would be better for them to tailer their collections to that market. On the other hand, given that there is so much drop-shipping, it's not a case of them having bought stock and not shifting it, so it doesn't matter to them if they advertise the 'less than excellent watches' as well as the good stuff :) On the theme, the other day I actually looked at WatchEden's Hublot selection, and they have got quite a range of nice quartz watches. Maybe not to everyone's taste, but certainly ideal for some, infact, I'm planning on getting one each for my best friend and his wife for when they're next over from Tokyo. Given the need for punctuality, he needs quartz accuracy, and I remember he asked if I'd heard of 'Hub Lots' last time we spoke, so that might well be the ideal watch for the purpose :)

Mmmmmmmmmmm.....I am talking only about the forums and RWG in particular...what they offer here on RWG..what is posted on their own website is not what I am discussing and have no say about....RWG is our dominion and what is posted here is what we may have influence...sorry if I have not made that message more clear :drinks:

Mmmmmmmmmmm.....I am talking only about the forums and RWG in particular...what they offer here on RWG..what is posted on their own website is not what I am discussing and have no say about....RWG is our dominion and what is posted here is what we may have influence...sorry if I have not made that message more clear :drinks:

Ahh, I see what you mean now :drinks: Yes, it would certainly be in their best interests to list the best watches they have (best meaning best quality, not necessarily the most expensive) Strangely, since I made my post, I went back to the WatchEden site to continue my 'Hublot Hunt', and they are now listing only a single page of watches... yesterday they had 20 pages :bangin::wounded1:

Ahh, I see what you mean now :drinks: Yes, it would certainly be in their best interests to list the best watches they have (best meaning best quality, not necessarily the most expensive) Strangely, since I made my post, I went back to the WatchEden site to continue my 'Hublot Hunt', and they are now listing only a single page of watches... yesterday they had 20 pages :bangin::wounded1:

Its working :bangin:

The people who buy high-end reps like we do is a small group.

Normally tourists or online-shoppers pick up the cheapest stuff without knowing anything about the watch. It is just about a Omega, Rolex etc Logo. Perhaps the know that there is a Submariner or a Seamaster, but that is it.

We are on the hunt for the next perfect rep or mod one with gen parts from an already expensive rep. The big group of rep buyers would never consider to buy a rep for more than 50$. But this group is probably multiple times bigger than our "little" community.

There is market for cheap stuff, so the factories try to use it and make money. That is normal. They make probably more money on the cheap [censored] - because of high sales and not the price :animal_rooster:

Its working :bangin:

Not for me :wounded1:

Strangely, when I click on a watch, it shows 'frequently bought together' options which are not shown on that sole page :lol: I'm just it's just a temporary glitch, but I must admit, I rather liked looking through the quartz non-chronos, it was a nice change from the norm :)

The people who buy high-end reps like we do is a small group.

Normally tourists or online-shoppers pick up the cheapest stuff without knowing anything about the watch. It is just about a Omega, Rolex etc Logo. Perhaps the know that there is a Submariner or a Seamaster, but that is it.

We are on the hunt for the next perfect rep or mod one with gen parts from an already expensive rep. The big group of rep buyers would never consider to buy a rep for more than 50$. But this group is probably multiple times bigger than our "little" community.

There is market for cheap stuff, so the factories try to use it and make money. That is normal. They make probably more money on the cheap [censored] - because of high sales and not the price :animal_rooster:

I agree 100% I bet they sell dozens more 'cheap' Subs, compared to just one sale of one with a 'Swiss' movement :)