When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

SCORE! - part deux

Nanuq

Charlie Vandergaw lives out by the Yentna glacier and he's had bears around his place for years. It's possible to live near them and be just fine. He's comfortable being a lot closer to them than I am.

Here's how close I'm willing to get:

bear1.jpg

bear2.jpg

Here's Charlie ... don't try this at home. Seriously.

bear3.jpg

bear5.jpg

bear6.jpg

bear9.jpg

I go camping every couple years in the Eastern Sierra (California - near Bridgeport, CA) and have run into a couple of Black Bears - usually I head back toward the motorhome to hide out until they leave :). I am not the biggest fan of our cuddly friends - I'll let Charlie Vandergaw befriend them!

My lord Charlie is brave!! haha thats way toooo close for me!

My friend was clearing out a bunch of "junk" as he called it from his Jewelery store... I got a gen Rolex big wooden box, the one with the leather buckle on the top and a 9315 folded bracelet (very worn) with a broken newer Tudor clasp. I tossed the clasp and put on a old 93150 rep clasp for now.. its got the proper end links attached and everything. The bracelet is very stretched but i did some work to it and now its solid.. still stretched but at least its not going to break...

... Got the bracelet and the box for $50 :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The bracelet is already attached to my 5514 Comex.. got the crown and tube installed tonight... almost complete!

Yowza, what a deal!! Let's see some photos, Diz. The 5514 is the ooooonnnnnnee additional piece (crossing my fingers behind my back) that I could be persuaded to add to the stable. They just reek subtle gnarliness.

bear5.jpg

It's just like a big dog :thumbsupsmileyanim:

My lord Charlie is brave!! haha thats way toooo close for me!

My friend was clearing out a bunch of "junk" as he called it from his Jewelery store... I got a gen Rolex big wooden box, the one with the leather buckle on the top and a 9315 folded bracelet (very worn) with a broken newer Tudor clasp. I tossed the clasp and put on a old 93150 rep clasp for now.. its got the proper end links attached and everything. The bracelet is very stretched but i did some work to it and now its solid.. still stretched but at least its not going to break...

... Got the bracelet and the box for $50 :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The bracelet is already attached to my 5514 Comex.. got the crown and tube installed tonight... almost complete!

How broken was the Tudor clasp? :whistling:

• 2 weeks later...

Actually the Tudor clasp wasnt that bad. The rivit pin thing holding the fliplock on was worn through. I have all the pieces in my parts trays. Im sure i'll be able to use it for something :whistling:

I'll try to get some pics of the 5514 as soon as possible.. i just finished putting the insert back in, and did some banging, scratching and repolishing of the crystal. Im just waiting to come across a nice clasp for this bracelet. The 93150 clasp just doesnt look right on this beaten and stretched folded oyster. I think i might try using the regular clasp off a datejust or rivit bracelet and see how it looks...

what do you guys think? I dont care if its 100% correct, but i just want it to look cool. Its ok if its a datejust style clasp because a 40 year old watch might be hacked together to keep it in working order.

dizz