When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The "experts" Area Is Not Accomplishing What It Should Do...

RWG Technical

I have noted that there is little use made of the "Expert" area and the toomstone information it contains, specifically the information I have posted there (I can't speak to others).

I take note of the number of times my "read only" posts have been accessed, and it never changes, or changes very little. That tells me no one is going here to review or read these posts...if no one reads them, or knows they are there, why waste space having this area?

Lately there are a number of new members, asking basic questions, or even looking for information, and these questions have been addressed and answered already...if they only knew where to look... These members would not ask these questions, if they knew where to find the answers.

My impression is that this information is not being seen, no one knows it's there, and it's not serving any useful purpose. The original intent was good, but it's not working from my perspective.

So what to do about it, if anything? Does anyone but me care about this info? Suggestions? Compile it on a CD? Separate the different topics, and repost them under more user friendly headings so they can be found? Don't do anything at all??? Remove them, and answer questions when needed??

If we want to help new members, or those wanting to learn more, we owe it to them to make any and all information we have gathered accessible and easy to find...

I welcome your comments.

RG

I have noted that there is little use made of the "Expert" area and the toomstone information it contains, specifically the information I have posted there (I can't speak to others).

I feel that the Expert Area gets as much attention as Sticky Posts, ie. Nearly none.

As someone that tries to help n00bz, I can't believe how many times a request for openly-available is made. It's not like you even need to search for it that hard!

Unless you put something in your signature, like I do with my Photo Tutorials, people just don't seem willing to go out of their way to get info.

I see what The Zigmeister means, and I believe Pugwash has the answer, or at least a way of giving it more attention. I often find myself clicking people's signatures, Pugs, By-Tors, Mahler's and so on. It's much more visible, but then again, it could be because these are very visible posters on the forum

Ever since the beginning of this year, I took quite some time both on TRC and RWG to read and search for my particular areas of interest in the rep game. I've read great posts, informative, revealing, funny and interesting...but you have to be willing to spend some time ... which is the one thing that seems to become a rare commodity...

I think it is a general problem that people throw a question out in the open without investing a little time to see if it has been answered before. This does not only apply to this forum but to basically all others on the net as well.

The bottom line: if you're an expert in any area, you have to be prepared to answer the same questions over and over again.... sad, but o.. so true

I feel that the Expert Area gets as much attention as Sticky Posts, ie. Nearly none.

As someone that tries to help n00bz, I can't believe how many times a request for openly-available is made. It's not like you even need to search for it that hard!

Unless you put something in your signature, like I do with my Photo Tutorials, people just don't seem willing to go out of their way to get info.

Good comments, sad part is - I already have it in my signature...

I have to think this one over, and come up with something. I also just read that some of the posts are corrupt and unreadable...I am going over there right now to see what has happend.

Remember, only change the DAY on the IWC at 12 noon or so...cant' wait to see the pics from the expert.

RG

I take note of the number of times my "read only" posts have been accessed, and it never changes, or changes very little. That tells me no one is going here to review or read these posts...if no one reads them, or knows they are there, why waste space having this area?

Lately there are a number of new members, asking basic questions, or even looking for information, and these questions have been addressed and answered already...if they only knew where to look... These members would not ask these questions, if they knew where to find the answers.

My impression is that this information is not being seen, no one knows it's there, and it's not serving any useful purpose. The original intent was good, but it's not working from my perspective.

So what to do about it, if anything? Does anyone but me care about this info? Suggestions? Compile it on a CD? Separate the different topics, and repost them under more user friendly headings so they can be found? Don't do anything at all??? Remove them, and answer questions when needed??

If we want to help new members, or those wanting to learn more, we owe it to them to make any and all information we have gathered accessible and easy to find...

I welcome your comments.

RG

Rob, the information in that thread, especially your stuff (and i an not patronizing) is tremendous.. I do not go there often but when I do i read the sections pretty throughly.

This is great reference material the content should not be removed. But I do agree that it would be a great idea to make it easier to find... maybe the title is not intuitive.... could be that the reader thinks the content is FOR experts as opposed to FROM experts. How 'bout something like "must read information".. I don't know, I am kinda rambling.. but i do think the section should stay in.

I believe that just saying "read, read, read" is not the answer. Being friendly to newbies might just take a little group effort from the well-informed membership by just posting a link for an obvious question "You'll find your answer in the EXPERT AREA. If as a whole, members could guide others to the Expert Area it would become a better rote memorized mantra, much like "read, read, read", which usually comes across as exasperation.

Even making the Expert Area more visible will not do it because most members, old & new, have the habit of bypassing the opening page and just going straight for the "New Posts" button because of the amount of traffic.

I get the same thing all the time on Land Rover forums. I've spent YEARS describing basic maintenance and still people create an account, log in, ask "who has the cheapest brake rotors", and disappear.

Seems like what we're seeing is a hurry-up consumeristic mentality. As in "I want brake rotors RIGHT NOW and I don't have the time, or won't make the time, to get to know these people here on the board."

We need a sense of community, both online and in real life. We need to get to know each other. Then, common courtesy and simple chewing the fat and sharing ideas and opinions will spread the knowledge.

Until then, someone taking the time to write a learned essay is treated no differently than the guy behind the counter at Napa Auto.

"Who's got the best Sub, what's his address and what's it cost?"

Aisle 5, pal. You wanna know why it's the best Sub? Uh, scuze me? Hello? Oh... he's already in aisle 5.

Great Post especially the comments around how community and familiarity breed courtesy and information sharing. I could not agree more.

"So what to do about it, if anything? Does anyone but me care about this info? Suggestions? Compile it on a CD? Separate the different topics, and repost them under more user friendly headings so they can be found? Don't do anything at all??? Remove them, and answer questions when needed??" Quoted by The Zigmeister..

Rob, I think all the information whould be put on a CD, and sold by Admin, to help support the forum, plus this would get the correct information to the new members!

I for one really love the The Zigmeister zone. I've learnt a heck of a lot by reading the posts, I really hope that a) the info stays and b ) The Zigmeister keeps adding to it.

If it where to disappear I think the forum as a whole would be worse off. Please don't do it!

Edited by NRG

I'm coming up on my second anniversary in RWG I and II (next month, to be exact)and I have to admit that I'm probably still a lot closer to newbie status in knowledge than "expert." What is interesting to me is how much I learn by going back to old threads that I probably read a year or more ago but that I am better able to appreciate today. I recently went back and read some pinned threads and thought "Man, this is incredible stuff!" I wonder if true noobies to the neighborhood even appreciate the valuable content that is already here?

It's important for veterans to remember this: the number of threads and posts since many of us "old timers" joined is rather imposing (the mods would have the statistics on this). If there were a few thousand threads then, there might be 100,000 or more now. How do you go back through that kind of archive? And models in the rep world evolve rather quickly -- the Sub/YM/Seamaster/110/Santos/etc. that was dissected in detail a year ago may not even be available any more, or has gotten significantly better/worse in the meantime. So how much of the year-old or two-year-old content will even be valid any more?

Plus we all live in a fast-paced world. I already spend a lot more time here than I should. When I went on vacation for two weeks, how far do you think I checked back for interesting posts or threads? A: Not very far at all. So if a newbie lands here and sees posts flying every which way, I can well imagine them asking why not just post my question and see what happens.

As for pinned posts or links in signatures: Some get more action than others. For example, I read By-Tor's Seamaster thread several times before purchasing my Seamaster GMT, and I've referred back to it several times since.

Some information links are more user friendly than others. For example, Pugwash's links are very user friendly. The Zigmeister, although I read every one of your new posts closely, I have to admit that I never read the text or links in your signature until today. I suggest you edit them down to make them more amenable to a quick browse.

One final thought: As the forum grows, perhaps we need to think of better ways to capture valuable information and make it accessible to newcomers and veterans alike.

I already posted in the summer that Ziggy's reviews are "hiding" in the Expert Area. I suggested that we should get rid of as many subforums as possible and thus make the whole forum easier to navigate.

Thomas already made some very good changes. I think Ziggy's watch reviews should all be back in the watch repair section. Maybe we should have a separate watch movement/repair section and a photography section... and get rid of the "expert area" altogether?

There should be one link that's sticky (preferably written in red color) that states "COMPLETE REPLICA MOVEMENTS FAQ" or something like that...and that would include links to all Ziggy's articles.

I have always included a link to Ziggy's movement breakdowns when I review a watch (if it's not just a standard ETA). Those are by far the best and most valuable information on the forum and they deserve to be easily accessible. Now we just have to figure out how that's accomplished.

Great comments all around...

I think I need to complie the same topics somewhere, and they somehow have a link to each topic in my signature...

For example, all the "How-To" posts would be together etc....

BUT, I have no idea of how to do something like this, I can link to the subforum, but have no idea or way to subdivide the topics and have them linkable and indexed under my signature...

Any idea's??

RG