When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Unboxing of the new Cartier Santos100XL

unregistered

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I ain't going there with this rep as the gen is relatively cheap in the used or grey market and I have too many franken projects to do, so no thanks on this route for me.

I thought about the used gen route and backed out several times. I think I just need to work on the watch to appreciate it. This will be a nice project.

There's nothing like a barely perceptible dial flaw to yield an opportunity to launch into a volley of personal attacks!

Who has time for this?

Apparently one of the poster have lots of to waste, but not the time to read and provide real constructive comments. Instead, we just get incomprehensible jibberish from the poster. Unbelievable ...

I thought about the used gen route and backed out several times. I think I just need to work on the watch to appreciate it. This will be a nice project.

Why don't you go with the gen dial route? It should improve the look of the watch since the rep dial color was off. The used gen route is only a good option if you don't have the time to work on the rep. But if you are doing the gen dial swap, the rep crystal also needs to go. That strong bevel on the rep's sapphire crystal is also another tell. If you have the time to work on it, it should turn out really nice now that the rep case/crown is almost like gen.

Edited by R_Squared

The crown guards are still a bit wobbly, which would be far more worrying to me than the difference in the colour of the dial.

But for $400, it looks nice.

Are they doing this in the carbon finish any time soon? That would get my wallet out of my pocket.

The crown guards are still a bit wobbly, which would be far more worrying to me than the difference in the colour of the dial.

But for $400, it looks nice.

Are they doing this in the carbon finish any time soon? That would get my wallet out of my pocket.

Not sure what you mean by wobbly crown guards as they are part of the case and not secured on it from the bottom. Do you mean the crown is wobbly?

I am waiting for some pics from a member who just ordered the carbon version. Not sure if the rep dial has the correct color on the dial/markers. Also, the DLC/PVD coating may or may not be good. Will have to wait and see.

Edited by R_Squared

R2: I think he means that the crown guards, at least the lower one is not machined very well and doesn't have a straight edge, kinda goes wobbly at the end.

Exactly. If you look at the gen, the edges are absolutely crisp and straight, no matter how big a picture you see. The inside edges of these look a little wonky - maybe not at wrist distance, but certainly to the naked eye.

The crispness of the bezelling on the case might also not be so crisp, but that wouldn't be as noticeable, I think.

Exactly. If you look at the gen, the edges are absolutely crisp and straight, no matter how big a picture you see. The inside edges of these look a little wonky - maybe not at wrist distance, but certainly to the naked eye.

The crispness of the bezelling on the case might also not be so crisp, but that wouldn't be as noticeable, I think.

Unreg/ken - ok. I agree with you then. I have seen some which are machined better than unreg's rep santos. Definitely a quality control issue. As I have mentioned above, the rep case overall is not as well machined as the gen. If you get a decent one, then it might be passable. Otherwise it just looks odd when compared to the gen even if you can live with the dial flaw. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Heeeyyyyy.

Been pouring over the pics for the past two days.

Conclusion - definitely worth the 400 clams for a fine looking rep! No hesitations in buying on my part!

If you cant deal with the imperfections, take a look at puretime (Angus's site) - he has one (it might be the 33 mm, gonna have to look again) for $1500 made completely out of genuine parts minus the buckle!