When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

16520 El Primero Franken Options

wiesn089

With my DW 6263 entering its finishing stage (waiting for a gen bracelet which should arrive soon and then its off to Domi B)), I'm planning my next project, an El Primero 16520 franken with black dial. I love the El Primero Movement, especially its 36.000 beat rate and really like the fact that this would stay unchanged in "my" Daytona.

I read every single thread on the few which are floating around here and to me it seems that the most critical part is acquiring a case (apart from hands issues later). Precisely because of that my plan is to get the case set first. Doing so won't leave me stuck with all other parts without the chance of finishing the project up in the end.

As far as I understand there are three ways to go:

1) Get a gen case set

2) Get an NDT case set

3) MBW/MBK Case Set

I don't want to go the gen route because, a) prices seem to be heading through the roof b ) they rarely pop up (at least I couldn't find many) c) I'm not shelling out 3000+

wonder if its possible to use the newer daytonas like the sec@6 made in the Noobfactory. Its thicker than gen, but i wonder if a proper flatter caseback would help? Or perhaps one of the thinner cases floating around from one of the better faux subdial daytonas. Some of these cases are fairly accurate and can be modded with gen pushers, crown/tube beze etc etc

Just an idea

Dizz

Thanks for the input so far, guys.

All offerings I found so far were in about the same price range ($100-200 give or take). NDT and a dealer from Vietnam seem to offer the same cases (at least they provided me with the same pictures). Is Phong's the same?

Felix, I only found two gen cases and both were 3000€ and up that's still three times more than a modded aftermarket case (excl. bezel). For this difference you can almost get all other parts, for me that's simply not worth it.

P.S. Wow flex, your Daytonas are amazing! Is the black one the gen case?

However, I don't really see a point in having to spend 1300$ on something on which I probably have to change crown, pushers and bezel to genuine anyway either.

Gen midcase if and when you find one, will be pushing $2k. That's just the midcase.

I'd go with an older MBW case set over NDT. The MBW, while definitely not perfect, is a decent starting point. Hard to find these days. But I do think Greece George can still get them... as of 6 months ago he could anyhow.

• 1 month later...

Sooooo, I was offered/found a case and am in contact with the seller. Is this it look MBW or something worthwhile at least?

I had a look at Phong's/NDT's and came to the conclusion that when you compare the bezel (thicker numbers on Phong's) and caseback (no engraving) these definitely aren't the same. My main concern are the CGs which don't look very gen, but then again comparing these to other MBWs posted here there are similarities. I'll probably be able to get a Dial from the same seller (with pictures later on if everything works out).

I'd appreciate your expert opinion very much, especially of the 16520 guys and case experts on here (hi Ubi, Flex, Freddy etc. ;):D).

BTW: 6263 still not finished and about to throw it out of the window, but review of bracelet options in the making (incl. gen 78350 with gen endlinks).

That case is good. The CGs are pretty good for an older serial number case. I agree they're slightly off, primarily at the case edge where the crown tube is, or that could be due to the bezel being slightly too small. But it doesn't look like a sharp straight cut there. On the underside, I'd have to double check some of the details. The caseback diameter looks off, but I'll have to double check mine to verify.

Here's a pic of my "A serial" 16520. Some of the details here are different than on the older serials. These things did evolve/change over time. I hope to be able to take some nice pics of it soon.

paj_prev3.jpg

Sooooo, I was offered/found a case and am in contact with the seller. Is this it look MBW or something worthwhile at least?

I had a look at Phong's/NDT's and came to the conclusion that when you compare the bezel (thicker numbers on Phong's) and caseback (no engraving) these definitely aren't the same. My main concern are the CGs which don't look very gen, but then again comparing these to other MBWs posted here there are similarities. I'll probably be able to get a Dial from the same seller (with pictures later on if everything works out).

I'd appreciate your expert opinion very much, especially of the 16520 guys and case experts on here (hi Ubi, Flex, Freddy etc. ;):D).

BTW: 6263 still not finished and about to throw it out of the window, but review of bracelet options in the making (incl. gen 78350 with gen endlinks).

This looks identical to MBW case, considering the tell tale sine of the pushers on the caseback side.

img0337bz.jpg