When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Daytona

Colinp

Has anyone got a new Daytona Rep, The one with secs at 6 with the Asian valjoux 7750...if so does your sub dial at 9 ( the hour one ) count all the time ?..Even when crono is off

Mine does and I'm wondering is this a fault or just how all the reps are ?????

In case you were not aware, the movements in rep watches are generally used &/or unserviced. So the fact that the watch is new has no bearing on the condition of the movement. The rule of thumb for reps is that if you plan to keep the watch, get it professionally serviced & be prepared to have to replace parts that are damaged/defective/worn right off the bat. Even in cases where the seller offered a 'professional overhaul' service as part of the deal. Sad, but true.

i agree.. $100 for the most simple of movements.. $200 for chronographs seems about right.. The last 7750 i got done was $175. I had a gen Bentley Flying B jump hour serviced with parts and it was $350 but as you know thats a unique setup.

freddy, are you saying that all reps should be serviced or are you referring to only chronos and/or complicated movements?

All mechanical movements - whether reps, gens, simple or complicated - require regular servicing.

Freddy is right. A mechanical movement is a mechanical movement. But when it is a rep it never was at all. So it should be done as soon as you recieve it if you are planning to keep it for any length of time.

The watchmakers here agree that especially the 7750 needs an immediate service, as soon as you get it. It's a complicated piece of machinery, and rep factories don't service them at all before selling them.

If you love, and plan to keep any mechanical rep ... service it. Wear it for 1 month .. then decide if you want to keep it "forever" .. and if you do, then have it serviced. Once every 5 years.

Let me add one small footnote .. if the rep is a cheap Asia21j movement .. wear it until it explodes .. then just have a new cheap Asia21j movement put in again.