When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

eBay and "Swap Jobs"

Ronin

I am curious, is this sort of thing legal/in line with eBay TOS, and what kind of precedent does this set?

I applaud the seller for being straight forward and honest about the mash-up of parts, but still wonder. Technically, if it contains 100% genuine parts I don't think Rolex or anyone really has a say in the matter. Not unlike, dropping an modern Porsche engine into a vintage model, etc.

Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270612668431

FTA:

Rolex GMT Explorer Hybrid

Genuine Matte Dial with Beautiful Toned Luminous

Vintage Look with Durability of Modern Rolex

Item Description

This is an interesting compilation of genuine Rolex parts. Case:16570 in excellent condition. Dial: Genuine GMT Matte Dial - great indexes

Movement: (GMT/Explorer) Rolex Caliber 3185 (quickset date and quickset GMT). Offered on the used shell-cordovan strap with steel buckle.

----------------

Thoughts?

I guess I am fine with it since the seller is forthcoming. Same way I am ok with some of the "Re-Dialer's, etc" Might also be a way to harvest parts at a cheaper rate since many true Rolex guys will probably avoid it like the plague.

Yeah just like the "aftermarket case with refinished dial and gen 1570 movement"... This could also be a couple of damaged watched mashed together to make something worth selling, but im willing to bet its an aftermarket case with refinished dial and probably a worn out or water damaged 3185. Have a look at his other auctions.. a couple other questionable watches.