When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken 101: my 34mm Tudor Prince Oysterdate w/ gen dial

hackR

Thought I'd share a little fun project with Justin as catalyst...thanks, J!...

I connected with Justin through my Tudor Chrono build project...When he launched a FS post selling one of his 34mm Tudor reps, I decided to give one a whirl...

Justin's FS post:

This piece is as he describes: "Here's the last of the Prince Dates I bought as "case doners", it was really a shame to part them out but since I now have a source for cases this little guy was spared the axe! It is built on a 34mm case w/lug holes, has an a21j movement, and uses a 19mm band. Not really moch more to say about it other than these little guys really are comfortable to wear!"

jmbpix1.jpg

jmbpix2.jpg

jmbpix4.jpg

jmbpix5.jpg

jmbpix3.jpg

I then discussed gen dials with Justin and he pointed me to a seller on the bay...the reps have "Prince Date" on the dial and the gens have "Price Oysterdate"...remarkably, tho, on the rep, the linen look of the rep is damn close to the linen look on the gen...these gen dials are on the bay in white/silver, gold and blue...

I liked a blue denim blue linen dial best and bid...woo hoo!...$45usd later (w/shipping from Australia) it's mine...

Here's the description of the dial:

Rolex TUDOR Mens Prince OYSTERDATE Rotor Self-Winding Dial

Circa: 1980's

Winding: Automatic

Dial: Original Blue Colored Dial with raised Steel Tudor Logo

Measurements: 26.6 mm approx in diameter

Dial Feet Position.: 12 minutes approx and 42 minutes approx.

Case Reference: Unknown

Calibre: Unknown

Overall Condition of Dial: Good New Old Stock. Light Spotting visible, due to poor storage.. see images

100 % Genuine Rolex TUDOR

f236a.jpg

Well - I don't see any light spotting, I can tell you that...

The dial is the correct size for the case...Since I didn't want to turn this project into a nightmare by trying to source gen hands to fit an eta movement, I decided to keep the high-beat a21j movement, removing the dial feet and using double stick tape...Alignment wasn't the easiest, but it worked...The dial date window, date wheel and cyclops actually aligned...

This piece keeps great time and has an amazing power reserve...

Well - it's not a big "franken" project -- but I learned a bit along the way...Making a nice piece that is actually smart looking and wears comfortably... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks for reading and enjoy the pix...and please don't tell my Breitling friends about this... :pardon:

My quick pix (not the best, oh well)

R-

tudor2m.jpg

tudor1m.jpg

Nice one Rob, I saw those dials on ebay and was tempted I have to admit .................... Love the fluted bezel too, such a classic Rollie look.

I would guess those are the same as Datejust hands which you can find to fit ETA on the bay if you wanted to upgrade. Personally I dislike those 21Js because they're so variable, sometimes they run for years, sometimes not, and it's not worth the effort to strip, clean and service them, it's easier just to throw in a new movement.

Welcome to the Prince Oysterdate "Franken Lite" Club! You are turning me "blue" with envy! ;) Your build turned out very nice.

I'm gonna snag one of those blue dials one of these days. I already have the silver, and fixin' to build a two-tone with gold dial, so I just need the blue. The gen dial is an "older" dial than the rep you had bought. The current watches are called Prince Dates while the "vintage" were Prince Oysterdates. I'm going the other way as well, I have one of the rep dials like yours and it will be getting glued to a 2836 and re-cased! I really love that silvery-white dial.

If you want to complete the "vintage look" then a Clark 25-123 has the magnifier in the correct location.