When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Old school 2893 PAM029

Mickey Padge

All numbers line up..

Great stuff, I had problems with Lello's wheel with an old 188 project, took three or four to get it right, but it was a 7753 based watch, tricky to line up ;)

In fact a fully updated ETA7753 based old school PAM might be tempting in a trade for this piece? :g:

Yup its true that Lello's 7753 DWs can be difficult to work with...the numbers between "25" and "29" don't line up in the center. No such problem with his 2893

I have 2 ETA 7753 Daylights, PAM 250 and Panda PAM... both of which will go first before I sell the 029B. But that's just me...

Man your spoilt with all these top end watches ;)

Please could you post some picture/specs of the 7753 based PAM's too? I have always loved them, but never found the right one. My old 188/196 project was a long and drawn out experience, which soured me on the finished watch (as sometimes happens with me) :D

Here's mine, EL 029B, chief cyclops, T48 crown, A series CG, The Zigmeister lumed, B222/500.

This rep is top of my list. I would set a price of USD1.8k, high but i don't want to sell it.... yet. Shouldn't go below 1.5k in my humble opinion.

Cheers

S181

$1500 ??!!!?? How much would a PAM063 of similar build, be worth?

$1500 ??!!!?? How much would a PAM063 of similar build, be worth?

About the same. The last modded EL 029b went for slightly more than that if my memory serves me right. Its the rarity rather than cost of watch itself. Its safe to say that you can souce for a 2893-2 movt (fxrandy's recent sourcing comes to mind) but how many successful 029/063 projects have we seen? in fact I see some of these movements back in the market after their unsuccesful attempt to put these movts in PAMs and Rolexes.

But that's my price on my 029.... if it ever hits the sales section.

siesta,

I think the problem is lots of folks were trying to do the impossible. the Rolex GMT /2893-2 is a difficult if not impossible build. possibly if you were able to source the longer canon pins that are available, but not standard, it would be possible. As far as PAMs, i would guess that the basic problem is a lot of the cases were never designed to fit a 2893-2. the nice thing about the old Eddie Lee cases was the cases were designed for the 2893-2 and when they were no longer available they started using the 2836-2's, Unfortunately, those old watches are pretty rare.Eddie Lee's prices were on the high end for reps back in 2005-06, and I would imagine that not a lot were sold to start with. Thus the rarity. I may be wrong, but the old Eddie Lee 029's and 063's should all be usable as a 2893-2 recipient. having said that, I don't know at what point the cases changed, different manufacturer., etc. Probably the ones that are proving impossible to use with the 2893-2's are newer models that just aren't compatible with the 2893-2 movement.

siesta,

I think the problem is lots of folks were trying to do the impossible. the Rolex GMT /2893-2 is a difficult if not impossible build. possibly if you were able to source the longer canon pins that are available, but not standard, it would be possible. As far as PAMs, i would guess that the basic problem is a lot of the cases were never designed to fit a 2893-2. the nice thing about the old Eddie Lee cases was the cases were designed for the 2893-2 and when they were no longer available they started using the 2836-2's, Unfortunately, those old watches are pretty rare.Eddie Lee's prices were on the high end for reps back in 2005-06, and I would imagine that not a lot were sold to start with. Thus the rarity. I may be wrong, but the old Eddie Lee 029's and 063's should all be usable as a 2893-2 recipient. having said that, I don't know at what point the cases changed, different manufacturer., etc. Probably the ones that are proving impossible to use with the 2893-2's are newer models that just aren't compatible with the 2893-2 movement.

Common mistake among the watch builders is that they assume that they can just drop a movt and poooff, you have a watch. A watch is a sophisticated, intricate mechanism with very acute tolerances. I bought one of fxrandy's 2893 with the intention to build a 063. When I could not find a good case, I decided on a Rollie Mcqueen. That was in April I believe and I am still sourcing for the higher hour wheel. Its a long haul process to find parts even if they are not obsolete. the EL 029 is obsolete and in Mickey's case, he gotten a Honpo 029, which in my simple mind means keep it until somebody robs it off you.

siesta,

Common mistake among the watch builders is that they assume that they can just drop a movt and poooff, you have a watch. A watch is a sophisticated, intricate mechanism with very acute tolerances. I bought one of fxrandy's 2893 with the intention to build a 063. When I could not find a good case, I decided on a Rollie Mcqueen. That was in April I believe and I am still sourcing for the higher hour wheel. Its a long haul process to find parts even if they are not obsolete. the EL 029 is obsolete and in Mickey's case, he gotten a Honpo 029, which in my simple mind means keep it until somebody robs it off you.

So how can I tell if a 063 or 029 case will accept the 2893 movement, or is it a case of not knowing until I give it a try :whistling: What would need modding, is it just a question of re-milling a movement retainer ring? Or is much more needed? In case you hadn't guessed I've got both the old 063 and 029, but with ETA 2836-2 movements in them, and I've got one 2893 on the way, perhaps a second, so .....

I'd better keep my EL 029 and 063 :)

and the original ETA 7753 188 and 196 too!

Nice watch... if the movement has decorated plates it's for sure a honpo... CBs I've seen swapped, etc. Honpo and EL are from the same source but the serials are a typical tell... as for the pricing, the 029b usually goes for a tad more than the 063... I haven't heard of one being sold on the forums in quite some time... last few I knew about sold for just a hair under $2k... but to get top dollar they need: chief cyclops, EL original hand set, full lume job, 2893/2 honpo decorated mvmnt, original matching CG or Gen CG, Original matching CB, and typically Gen Crown... when completely modded this watch rivals gens side by side... though next to a gen 029 there's only a couple tells ;)