When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Darkness Triumphant! Lightness Beware!

Very nice, euno!

What are your thoughts and impressions on the Survivor?

I've had it for a little while now. I recently have travelled internationally with this particular watch as well. The rubber strap that comes with the watch is nice but rather plain and seemingly uncomplimentary. So I installed an AP bands Hornback which is very similar to the OEM Hornback Survivor strap. The Hornback somehow makes the Survivor seem oddly organic, as if it is some sort of half-robotic half-animate entity. I know that this perhaps sounds odd, but this damn watch is a real oddity! There really is nothing quite like it, and I think that this piece historically represents some sort of new way of approaching watch design. It's a spooky watch akin to something that H.R. Giger would've dreamt about if he had created a wristwatch. The detailing on the watch is superb. Quality control seems to be on-point aside from the usual AP ROO reversed and/or loose nuts that hold down the bezel screws in place. The way the watch fits upon the wrist is astonishingly perfect. It is ergonomic and not overly large in any way. The tentacle-like pusher guards do not dig into the wrist at all.

Overall, this watch is NOT for everyone. It remains contraversial in many ways. An interesting thing to note though is that the Survivor is not just another PVD/DLC black watch--it's on some other threshold that I can't seem to define and/or place. Suffice to say, it's uncharted territory (for better or worse, only time will tell).

IMO it does not belong on the rubber strap, it needs the Hornback to bring it to 'life' (it appears that most owners of the OEM Survivor are wearing theirs with the Hornback strap that comes with the watch instead of the rubber option). Seeing one in person will alter ones' opinions regarding the strap rubber or leather choice issue.

I do think that if AP makes a similar watch in the future without the pusher guards, they would have yet another extraordinary hit on their hands. :victory:

Cheers :)

Congrats Eunomians. The Survivor dwarfs the EoD's! Its really growing on me, I just wish theyd not made the crown protector thingies the way they did (and maybe designed screw in type protectors maybe) then Id definitely get one. Awesome non-the less! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Theo, that is a very interesting comment regarding usage of the Survivor strap on other AP ROO watches. One of my local AP dealers mentioned this to me (he has had folks order Survivor straps for non-Survivor APs in the past) in one of many of our AP conversations. I love going to this dealer as they seem to have a large & steady supply of APs, Pateks, VCs and Breguets to drool over :wub: And their prices/customer service are excellent.

That looks awesome how did u get the Buckle for that watch? Did it come with the AP bands strap? or did it come with the rubber strap? I'd like to do this. Just don't know what specific band to order and how to get the buckle on the leather.

Amazing indeed. The 3rd picture looks really like the Darth Vader watch. If you put that on you'll be immediately seduced by the Dark Side of the force. :D