When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A Bit Of A Rant

Finepics

Having been [censored] off today I have decided to have a bit of a moan. A member here posted a watch for sale a couple of days ago which I immediately replied that I would take. I then PM'd the seller asking for his Paypal details and the deal is struck provisionally pending payment and the seller informs me that he prefers to sell to me as I am well known on the boards. Now I am in the UK and the seller I think is in the US so there is a bit of a time difference involved and when I am at work during my daytime I am only able to check my messages/emails at lunchtimes (even though the forum might sometimes show me as active all day). To cut a bit of the story short I eventually get a PM from the seller (who had not been active for over 24 hours) with his PP details only this afternoon at 1.30pm today my time. Before I have even had chance to read the message or reply or pay him I then get another PM message at 4.00pm this afternoon (only 3 and a half hours later) to say "Never mind - sorry been sold locally - good luck" Well [censored] that.

I hope the new buyer enjoys his watch.

Afraid this stuff happens all the time...I recently made a quick offer on a watch, received the PP address, and made a payment (I think it was all within about a half hour)...only to be told that another buyer, who is an administrator on this site, had slipped in ahead of me. (My payment was promptly refunded).

It seems like poor form to the buyers...But from the seller's perspective, "a bird in hand"....

Having been [censored] off today I have decided to have a bit of a moan. A member here posted a watch for sale a couple of days ago which I immediately replied that I would take. I then PM'd the seller asking for his Paypal details and the deal is struck provisionally pending payment and the seller informs me that he prefers to sell to me as I am well known on the boards. Now I am in the UK and the seller I think is in the US so there is a bit of a time difference involved and when I am at work during my daytime I am only able to check my messages/emails at lunchtimes (even though the forum might sometimes show me as active all day). To cut a bit of the story short I eventually get a PM from the seller (who had not been active for over 24 hours) with his PP details only this afternoon at 1.30pm today my time. Before I have even had chance to read the message or reply or pay him I then get another PM message at 4.00pm this afternoon (only 3 and a half hours later) to say "Never mind - sorry been sold locally - good luck" Well [censored] that.

I hope the new buyer enjoys his watch.

@ finepics, i totally understand what you are saying. but, in the seller's defence ... it is hard to wait sometimes when you have multiple people interested. i have had items for sale and received instant pm's saying that they would buy the item. days go by and no payment ... what do you do then. you have already brushed off potential buyers and you end up stuck with the item. in your case, it's a tough call because you are well known around rwg and your word means something. the bottom line is, whoever pays first deserves the item. thanks for letting me play devils advocate.

I have sold computer hardware on a forum and always give the first person to commit to buy the right of the deal. Anyone who contacts me afterwards will get told the items are sold pending payment and that if the deal falls through I will contact them.

Is there any other way to do it?

The TimeZone change is the killer! I believe rep purchases are bought and sold in the heat of passion. Nothing like a 6 hour time difference to screw thinks up. What happens is while your snoozing away some poor fella across the pond PMs saying he will take it. You wake up to the PM but now he is sleeping . What a mess. I do agree first in line should get the purchase but alot of times during that cool off period between time zones he changes hi mind and your stuck holding the bag.

@ finepics, i totally understand what you are saying. but, in the seller's defence ... it is hard to wait sometimes when you have multiple people interested. i have had items for sale and received instant pm's saying that they would buy the item. days go by and no payment ... what do you do then. you have already brushed off potential buyers and you end up stuck with the item. in your case, it's a tough call because you are well known around rwg and your word means something. the bottom line is, whoever pays first deserves the item. thanks for letting me play devils advocate.

I know you are right but it took him more than 24 hours to actually give me his PP address after I requested it and he only gave me 3.5 hours to reply. If one is going to advertise something here knowing the international elemnt then a certain allowance should be made for time to get, read and reply to the PM's. I'm only ranting more cos that was a particular watch I had been after for a while.

Well [censored] that.

Same thing happened to me back in 2004.....and I will never forget what that bastard did -_- sad thing is that the price was right too.....lets get out the rocks :thumbdown:

g. ^_^

Same thing happened to me back in 2004.....and I will never forget what that bastard did -_- sad thing is that the price was right too.....lets get out the rocks :thumbdown:

g. ^_^

Yeah -- doo doo occurs, but I reserve the right to remember it forever.

I bought a watch on the forums represented to be an MBW Milgauss, back in the day when I didn't know how to tell.

Bill

I agree with Kruzer. I feel sorry for the fool who got Finepics, one of the greatest assets of our community, disappointed.

Relume, cyclops, datewheels, PVD... maybe crystals, AR coating, crowns... and surely other tons of projects I am unaware of... ah, baaaahhhhh!!!

Sorry to hear that.I know which one you're talking about. As soon as I saw it, I clicked on , but your post was ther so I did not bother to PM the seller. Someone must've PMed w/o posting show of interest post.

I wander if it is a necessary to post a sign of interest so that other people should wait rather than having bidding frenzy or this type of sour note. Just my 2cc :)

Sorry to hear that.I know which one you're talking about. As soon as I saw it, I clicked on , but your post was ther so I did not bother to PM the seller. Someone must've PMed w/o posting show of interest post.

I wander if it is a necessary to post a sign of interest so that other people should wait rather than having bidding frenzy or this type of sour note. Just my 2cc :)

I also backed off the watch when I saw Finepic's post, and I understand his frustration. I could understand (if not agree with) the charge of heart if Finepics had offered to trade labor or parts instead of paying cash, but it looks as though Finepics was offering hard cold cash, so IMO there is no excuse on the part of the seller.

If the seller of that watch reads this thread and cares to reply, can you tell us if you ever posted on a rep forum under the name of "Chef?" Could be a coincidence, but I had a very similar thing happen with a seller who posted under the name Chef, with similar writing style to, and whose first name was similar to the handle of the seller I believe to be in question in this thread.

Sorry to hear of what happened to you Finepics.

In the near future I'll be putting up for sale a rare and desirable (I think and hope) rep to offset my recent auto insurance deductible calamity, and I am not looking forward to it at all.

My procedure is I record the names of all interested parties, and list them in order their PMs arrived. Whoever pays first from this group gets it first. I don't care if the first offer was lower than the second offer, but in general, it's first come, first serve. (For example, I had a recent transaction, someone offered $170, while the next guy offered to pay full pop, but I ended up recieving the $170 first, and it had to go to him.)

Sometimes, I unfortunately overlook some PMs as I get 10 or 12 a day when I'm selling, sometimes I feel PMing 3 or 4 people back is enough, and if none of them are interested, I'll move on to the next few. So here, I will apologize to the people who PM me but sometimes don't get a response, but I try my best to answer everything.

Some people goe around spitting in the wind, never caring about where it will blows...

They just don't realize that the world is round, so eventually some phlegm will return, when

least expected,.. to slap them right in the face...

Only thing, it will be so much more insulting in the fact, that it comes from some other public

thumb over nostril snot blower...

What was the piece you were buying? i might have it to sell, you never know..........wan

Whoa there fella, of all the watches out there you are willing to take a shot that you might have this one :blink:

You must have a lot of watches.........................is there something you're not telling me here? :unsure:

Ken ;)