When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

AR coating on rep Breitlings

cougaree

Guys

My SA and SA BS's AR coatings are incredible, and I've noticed that the AR coating on both watches are described on dealer's website as "Double AR, Swiss standard" What does it mean by Swiss standard? AR coating becomes more and more important to me for some reason, I wonder from now on, I should only buy ones marked with "Swiss standard"

I love my Breitling Skyland v3 a lot (serviced by Zigmeister), but it's its blue hue of AR coating starts to bother me. On the dealer's website, its AR coating is decribed only as "double AR" whereas on Skyland v2, it's double AR swiss standard. Can someone tell me if the Skyland v2 has equivalent AR coating as the newest SA/SA BS?

Thanks!

I think Skyland v2 AR coating is incredible. It's almost as great as my gen Fish.

However it also has blue hue, whereas my gen Fish is more like purple. But it's not that apparent on either.

BCE v3 and my new B01 don't have as great 2xAR. It's good and very decent on both but not as strong as the Skyland.

PS: I suspect the factory made the replica blue Fish based on a picture that had purple AR coating reflecting... thus, the blue dial became totally inaccurate blue (read: violet blue).

BT,

Thank you for writing back!

On my v3, the blue hue is very apparent (a lot worse than my BCE). Basically I see the hue every time if I'm not looking perpendicular to the crystal. Since the crystal is very hard to be removed off Skyland, I've been seriously thinking about getting new v2.

I hear you about the fish dial. They might just use a picture instead of the actual thing. Although the rep AR coating is a bit off for some reason, on this watch, the AR coating doesn't seem to be a major distraction fortunately. But on my Skyland v3, it's pretty noticeable.

BT,

Thank you for writing back!

On my v3, the blue hue is very apparent (a lot worse than my BCE). Basically I see the hue every time if I'm not looking perpendicular to the crystal. Since the crystal is very hard to be removed off Skyland, I've been seriously thinking about getting new v2.

I hear you about the fish dial. They might just use a picture instead of the actual thing. Although the rep AR coating is a bit off for some reason, on this watch, the AR coating doesn't seem to be a major distraction fortunately. But on my Skyland v3, it's pretty noticeable.

What you could do is tape off the bezel and tabs and dremel/polish the top AR off the crystal, should be like 15mins work and you'll have a lot less blue hue to it.

It almost seems like a crap shoot. I have 2 different V2 BCE's. One has great AR, the other has a really blue tint (way too blue). I removed the exterior AR, but then it reflected too much (it's been sent it in to be re-coated...I'll let you know how that works out).

I wish it was easier to remove the crystals from SA's, Skylands and SeaWolfs. I'd love to re-coat the crystals (although the SA AR is pretty darn good!).

It almost seems like a crap shoot. I have 2 different V2 BCE's. One has great AR, the other has a really blue tint (way too blue). I removed the exterior AR, but then it reflected too much (it's been sent it in to be re-coated...I'll let you know how that works out).

I wish it was easier to remove the crystals from SA's, Skylands and SeaWolfs. I'd love to re-coat the crystals (although the SA AR is pretty darn good!).

I agree, the AR on my two SA's Is very good,not great but like you said "pretty darn good" :thumbsupsmileyanim:

regarding the swiss fish...i am wearing a black dial 2824-2 gold movement model with eta dw (same one BT reviewed) and there's noticeable blue hue...it makes the dial look more dark gray than jet black...and can cast a blue haze over the dial at some angles...but this is somewhat similar to my gen black dial aerospace...the dial looks more dark chocolate brown/charcoal than jet black...not to say the swiss fish has gen ar - because it doesn't...the blue hue on black dials make them look less black...

for comparison, the v3 skyland black dial crystal has less of a blue hue; but slightly more reflection...

R-

and just a heads up ... i sent my skyland blacksteel for a full mod and chief ar, but The Zigmeister couldn't get the crystal out. therefor it returned with just the mods from The Zigmeister. the stock ar is excellent, but i've been spoiling myself with the chief ar's lately. having said that (curb your enthusiasm), i have heard of people that have had no issues removing their crystals. anyway, just my $0.02.

HackR: R, I'm sure you'll have some other projects on your mind even if you don't do the transplant project. :)

Fakemaster: I'm serious. Maybe I drew conclusions too early, but the ones I bought lately with "swiss standard" in their crystal description had much better AR than the ones that doesn't say.

P4GTR: It's not about getting a gen. I think all of us have some kind of personal requirements (even on the reps). As for me, crystal with high reflection and very blue hue does sometimes bother me. :)

Wheaton26: Thanks for the heads up! I think if anyone wants to have their crystals AR'd, they will have to bent the tabs on their own and get the crystal out. I don't know anyone else here, but it's too risky for me to do it. Just thinking about makes the hair on my neck standing up. I'd rather live with the high reflection crystal...