When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Looking for this chrono

what2

Jewelryandwatch can help you if you've got a few thousand dollars lying around. Otherwise, you can find decent 6238s from dealers like Trusty Time and Perfect Clones. Mind, they're not nearly as close to the gen as, say, DW's 6263.

DW sells a 6238 case (but no dials, as far as I know), but I believe it's just his 6263 case with a plain bezel. You get the asymmetrical pushers, but it's a poorer replication overall than the cartel offerings.

I've got the cartel 6238 from Josh and one from Angus-Puretime- the Angus one was more accurate. Both have the asian 7750 and the 36-37mm case.

Haven't seen the 6238 from DW yet- but with assymetric pushers and a cartel dial and an asian 7750, it could be pretty decent.

If DW has the smooth 6238 bezel, you could mate that with the 6239 V72 case and make a nice V72 6238. So far, this is about as close as I can come- a transitional 6238/6239 with the 6238 dial and 6239 case

972887481.jpg

However, I haven't built this watch yet because I can't fit the V72 in the 6239 case- this is a common problem with the DW cases.

I have a feeling that J already has a bezel design that will fit a Tropic 21 rather well!

Here's the problem with plopping a smooth bezel onto a 6263 mid-case: The crown side of the 6263 case is significantly thicker and aligns with the outer edge of the 6263 bezel. Replacing the flared tachymeter bezel with a thin, smooth bezel reveals a large, unsightly lump on the side, and puts the crown and pushers farther away than they should be.

You would have to do a whole lot of work to trim the sides down, and it might be easier to reposition the reset pusher on a different rep! Not sure how you'd go about doing that, though...

Unfortunately, I'm at work and behind a firewall, but I'll try to post pictures when I can.

Here are the pictures of DW's Pre-Daytona case, which killed my dream of building a "George Lazenby" 6238:

925094071_9nuNA-X3.jpg973824811_3fHqL-X3.jpg

As your eyes scan from left to right, everything looks good until you get to the outer edge of the crown-side lugs. It's not a tumah, it's excess steel. When viewed at an oblique angle, there appears to be a big shelf below the bezel lip.

It also looks as if DW's bezel is slightly off. The thickness is OK, but the edge looks higher than it should be. Trust me... I've looked at many a bezel. :hypocrite:

Compare the above with the first 6238 pic in this thread, and with the photo below:

973822580_jC7iT-L.jpg

Interesting LH. The Dw 6238 case certainly does have an unsightly growth at the case tube area.

I just looked at a 6239/7750 case on the bay from DW and it appears to have the same crown area bulge

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230512529983&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I'm off to see my watchmaker today and will check the older 6239 DW case which I have- hope there's no bulge! My watchmaker says he can fit the Wittnauer V72 in there, so I hope to be proceeding with my 6238/9 transitional.